Rusting seat brackets/rods

Page 1 of 3
Is anyone else experiencing problems with rusting seat brackets under the seats.
I noticed the brackets under my front seats and the dealer replaced them
under warranty. However, my back seat brackets are also rusting .
I guess I'm wondering if this "sold as new" truck might have been partially submerged. I can't imagine rust forming on metals that are in a dry cab and protected from the elements by not only the cab itself but also the seats.
Gary
Actually VERY common to see rust on those brackets. They are not really protected with good paint and they rust. I have seen it on GM, Ford, Dodge cars/trucks.
--
Steve W.

"gary" < snipped-for-privacy@gvtc.com> wrote in message

You could very well have one that has been in water, there have been enough floods lately. They clean them up, replace the carpet and pad, move them around to a different state and after a couple of years stuff starts to happen. Usually electrical problems will show up first. Sometimes you can pick up a musty sort of smell from the car or truck.
Roy

I had the same experience on my '96, but the cause was a water leak from the the bed lamp. The lens was cracked and water entered there and flowed between the double panel around the rear window and to the floor. It took me 9 monthes to find that leak. Steve

I'm doubting that any DC dealership would be selling water damaged cars. One never knows, though, but I would guess that its a semi-normal occurance.

Ok, how about a hail storm comes through and damages a whole parking lot of new cars.
Now depending on how bad the storm was, do they sell the cars as is or do they fix them up? I imagine they get the body shops some work, and sell the cars as new without telling anyone that they were damaged.
On 8/10/05 5:04 PM, in article 2KvKe.237524$x96.216481@attbi_s72, "PJ"

Psssst, Buddy! Want to buy a bridge?
beekeep
If you look on the window sticker it will tell you the dealer it was shipped to.

The metal parts used in the seat frames, etc. are bare and not painted or treated against corrosion. Rust appearing on the surface of these parts is not uncommon and will happen due to humidity, etc.
Mike

C'mon, you mean that your heated girly, girly seats are going to rust?? <VBG>
Seriously though, I ain't buying it. But then again you see them all the time, I don't. I never had rust on my seat brackets on any dc trucks. Keep in mind that the carpet get's wet with snow in the winter so the bracket nearest the door should show sign's but they don't. This guy is talking about his seat back as well.
Roy

Roy wrote:

I'm the OP. This truck is in South Texas, haven't had snow lately...at least 18 years or so. Heh.
Gary

Gary, to satisfy my heated seat buddy, is it humid in south Texas? Also what year and where did you buy it?
Roy

Roy wrote:

Bought it in Sept 2003. In San Antonio market. It is not as humid as Houston by any means. Normally about 40%-60% humidity.
If they are not painted they ought to be. I ruined a perfectly good dress shirt by trying to reach something under the seat. Nice rust stain on the sleeve. That's how I came to see it.
BTW, I am only talking about the supports under the seat in front and back seats. Not the metal in the seat backs.
Gary
Gary
Yea, it sounds like your "new" truck went for a swim before you bought it. The actual seats were probably replaces due to water damage along with the carpet. You might want to lift the carpet and look for damage on the floor boards as well.
"gary" < snipped-for-privacy@gvtc.com> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Not necessarily. The seat brackets on my '99 are rusty too. The rust started shortly after I got it. I'm the first owner. I got it less than a month after it was built. It's not severe rust (yet), just a uniform surface discoloration.
Mine is a 97 and the brackets still look pretty much like they did when I bought it and I can rub against them without getting rust stains on my clothing. What he is describing is heavy rust and that usually involves liquid water.
"Nosey" < snipped-for-privacy@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message

No Mike, you are just being an asshole, imagine that. At least this time your post sotra follows what I was saying unlike the other rust thread. What exactly is your definition of heavy rust? To me, if just brushing against the part gets rust stains on your clothing, that is what I would call fairly heavy, perhaps your definition is different. IIRC, he also said that they replaced some of the parts for this. Does DC normally replace heavy metal parts for light surface rust???

Nosey wrote:

Same on my '98, and it's never been swimming in its life!
SMH

started
don't bring facts into this, Bone-Head isn't interested in no steeeenking facts