rusty undercarrage

My truck was running around the gulf coast before I bought it. The undercarrage has some rust -- far too much for my liking. What's the best way to stop the corrosion at it's current level and stop any new rust
from forming?
I was in Lowes and noticed a primer called a "rust combiner". The can said that it would chemically combine with rust and stop it in it's tracks. Is this stuff any good?
Any info appreciated.
POR-15 look it up. Coasty

On Sat, 20 May 2006 07:04:12 -0000, "James Douglas"

Never tried it but I can tell you what I have used on on my plow truck for many years. I spray the underside of them down with used 90 or 85w140 gear oil in a paint spray gun. Once in fall before winter and again in spring when snow is over. It will penitrate and stop rust and will not wash off easily and after a few cycles of application it form a hard film that it hard to easily remove. The down side is that truck smell for a few days or so. It has worked for me realy well and one truck is over 26 years old and still has a solid frame with little surface rust. I even spray snowplows and spreaders and the are not rusting hulks after several years like most plows are. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
POR 15 is the only way to go. You will need about two quarts for the chassis. Be sure to buy the chassis black top coat. This stuff is the "cats ass" for stopping rust. Get disposable coveralls with a hood be sure to wear gloves and goggles.

It may well work but I can show you frames that have see 20 years of salt that are still in near like new state from using a gear oil treatment twice a year. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Treat once with POR15 and it will last 20 years why treat twice a year with stinky damn oil? Coasty

On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:40:15 -0400, "Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote:>Treat once with POR15 and it will last 20 years why treat twice a year with

Your will not even get 3 years out of it before it starts rusting doing what I do with plow trucks as the salt is VERY hard on them. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Have you ever used POR15? It appears not...and how can you speculate it won't last 3 years? Just curious where you you base you information from is all.
Laszlo Almasi
On Tue, 23 May 2006 00:41:08 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

Actually I have and a few other proventatives and rust converters but ill bet that you have not runs plow trucks for over 20 years and had them swimming in salt to see what that can do to a vehicle. ANother big plus of the gear oil route is that it keeps all of the bolts free and easy to remove too. I have tried a lot of things but tuff to beat my method in this environment. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Well, I do run plows and do know what you are talking about with regards to the salt issue. Not saying your method will not work, was just curious how you based your opinion.
You should have mentioned in your original post on this subject that you have tried other methods, what those results were, and what you found to be a better treatment in the end. Just my opinion though.
Laszlo Almasi
I am originally form the north country and my son has a 97 TJ treated with POR15 in 97 and there is no rust yet not one bit. Coasty

If you haven't used I guess you are just guessing then and your experiances of the use of POR15 are nill don't knon it if you have not tried it. Coasty

On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:55:19 +0000, SnoMan wrote:

SnoMan - thanks for the tip. I tried it and definately like it. Guess I'll try it for a year or three and see how it goes.....
After "spraying" on the oil, won't it attract dirt and other contaminents??? I have used POR 15 with great results and I feel once you "spray" the oil over the chassis you must keep doing this every year since nothing will adhere (POR 15, under coating, paint, etc.) to the chassis except oil. I live in N.J and salt is used on ALL the roads and my 1991 CTD is still going strong with no rusting, since I coated the chassis with POR 15 ten years ago. I also feel oil will "wash off" the chassis and cause pollution. (No, I am not a tree hugger!) Spraying oil is a cheap way out and a temporary fix to a never ending problem. I agree that the oil method works, and I have used it on plows, with great results, but not on my chassis. You have read a few GREAT replies so make up your mind and go for it! (your chassis will thank you)

Do you think this would work on the bottom of a 5th wheeler?
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!