RV's

Just bought one and need more info. Anybody here into them??

Reply to
Roy

Only that old retired dead-peckers have them.

So what did you get and when are you driving north with it??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

A quick thought just smacked me.... you got Mike S. e-mail??? He does the rv thing with his heated seats..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Only that old retired dead-peckers have them.

So what did you get and when are you driving north with it??

Denny

Bought a class C, a 2010 Fleetwood Tioga 31 foot. It's on a E450 chassis uses a V10 for power. Sue wanted to travel and I hate to fly so we figured we'd give this a shot.

Has a tv, stove, oven refridge and bathroom wth more does one need.

Don't know when or where we are going, she hasn't decided. I'll tell you this though. I haven't been in the ocean in about a friggin month due to the cold temp 25 degrees in the morning is BS! I am not going north until mid June at the earliest.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Only that old retired dead-peckers have them.

So what did you get and when are you driving north with it??

Denny

Ahem!! First it wuz the heated seats.... now it's RV's..... asshole!

;^)

Ask away Roy, I'll help if I can.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

As mentioned before, Denny is upset 'cause he can't find a heated bench seat large enough to warm his wide ride.

Mike, I'm hearing conflicting stories on the importance of leveling with regard to the refridg. Some say that held true years ago but with the new tech not so important. Where this is a C, I'm going to be blocking it and thinking of picking up the lego type as opposed to the weight of hauling around a bunch of lumber. Any thoughts?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

What you are hearing about fridge leving is basically true. The old fridges of 15-20 years ago were very sensitive to being off-level and wouldn't cool well. Additionally, you can damage the fridge by running in an off level mode for protracted periods. The new ones aren't that sensitive. A good rule of thumb is that if "you" are comfortable in your off level coach, so is the fridge. Having said that, I'm kind of anal about being off level since I still have it in the back of my mind about the old fridges.

Does your C have levels on the outside? If not, I would get 'em. The best way to install 'em is to level the coach using a level in the freezer compartment of the fridge. Counters and floors are notoriously unlevel. After the coach is leveled with respect to the fridge, attach the levels on the outside of the unit. That way, you can eyeball 'em when you get to your camping spot.

As far as leveling blocks, I wouldn't fool with lumber. I have had two sets of Lynx Levelers (the Lego type) for years and they are very good It will take a bit of practice, but after you get the hang of it, you can level your coach in ten minutes or less.

While I'm thinking of it, the thought has probably crossed your mind about driving with the fridge on since the roads are very unlevel. This is not an issue since the fridge will "break level" periodically and allow the ammonia gas to circulate.

I know you will enjoy the RV lifestyle once you get going and you will probably say to yerself "we shoulda done this years ago". I've been RV'ing for ~25 years and have enjoyed every minute. Why I even spent an enjoyable evening with the rabbit under the awning of our RV sippin' ice tea in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

No levels on the outside. Regarding the level in the freezer. the fridge is part of a slider so I kinda wonder how accurate a reading from there would be in regards the rest of the unit.

What about a 3' level on the floor, midway?

Okay.

As long as you didn't have to feed him. I sorta watched him eat his seafood and his daughter's as well up in Maine one summer. It wasn't pretty.

Thanks Mike.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Congrats on joinin the mobile bed club. You'll get to like the idea of sleeping on your own bed with your own pillow real quick.

The level on the floor is a good idea but follow what Mike said about stickin permanent levels crossways on your rig. If you can get them close to where the jack controls are, great.

There is another ng at rec.outdoors.rv-travel, but... if you go to read the threads you need to understand there is about 2% RV related and 98% political or other crap the folks chat about as they await an RV question.

I've been on 2, 10,000 mile trips so far and planning another in June to Alaska. I pull a 5th with my CTD.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

That will be close enough, I'm sure. But for 100% accuracy, I would still use the level in the freezer approach. For this to work, however, you must first extend the slide to the outer position so that it is in the final position... just like you were camping. Each time the slide extends it should return to that position thus simulating operating conditions.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Yup, I sorta got real tired with the bs of hotels.

No jacks on this. Have to block it.

Alaska sounds like a fun trip.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Okay. I should add that there are two sliders one in the l/front with the fridge, one r/rear with the beddroom. Should I perform this with both out to get the unit plumb then apply the outside levels?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

om...

All this talk about sliders is getting me hungry.........

Denny

Reply to
Denny

All this talk about sliders is getting me hungry.........

Denny

Damn!! You'd think about those at breakfast time??????????????????????

Reply to
Roy

Additional questions: If I understand this. After I get this plumb, the levels should be placed at all four corners?

2@ at each corner?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

The first thing he needs is a sign: "If the RV's a rockin', don't come knocking".

My buddy steve could make one!

Reply to
PeterD

Wow, do I smell a business opportunity here. Bench seat warmers.

Hell, we used the same type fridges on our sail boat, so I would doubt leveling is *that* important!

Reply to
PeterD

OK, come to Pizza Barn, and I'll buy you a Steak and Cheese with Onion rings.

Reply to
PeterD

How much time do you have? Jack and level, run around to look at the level that you can't see? I'm lazy, I'd put levels at each jack/lifting point.

Personally, I don't think you will find that many places where you need to get really agressive about it, unless you were to park it in my front yard. Then you might need a ladder to get out the door!

Reply to
PeterD

My wife and I are also considering this lifestyle. A question I've asked is What about laundry? I know large 5th wheelers and class A have them, but can they be retro-fit into smaller trailers? She suffers from MCS and that is why we want to control her environment. Cecil

A quick thought just smacked me.... you got Mike S. e-mail??? He does the rv thing with his heated seats..

Denny

Reply to
Detailing Dude