sagging leaf springs on 4x4 dodge

Page 1 of 2
i have a 1974 dodge 4x4 and the springs have no crown left in them.... can this be helped by replacing the spring pads or by possibly adding extra thick shim pads between each leaf???

I would have them re-arched.
"Sha Zam" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
I've never heard of this process. Please tell us more.
Is it cheaper or easier than getting a pair of springs from a wrecking yard?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

This is done by professional spring shops. Basically, they take the spring apart, re-bend the leafs back to what they were and in some cases, they add an additional leaf and put it back together with new pads and bushings. While it is not always cheaper, it is easier and you basically have a new spring again. When you buy from the junk yard, you don't always know what you are going to get and while they may guarantee the springs that they sell you, you still have to remove the old ones and put the junkyard ones in and if they are bad, you get to take them out again and start all over.

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Rebent isn't nearly as good as a new spring but for a vehicle where new springs can't be had it's probably better than used.

That is very true. I would think that after going through the work of removing the spring's plus the cost one would be way ahead by having new springs made up.
Miles, did you try the disc?
Roy wrote:

Yes. Seems like my ISP has some Usenet problems lately. I enter in a destination and allow it to compute a route. Then I press the NAV button and select Route Options. One of the options listed is Avoid Road. It lists all of the roads and highways used in the route and allows me to select them to avoid. This causes it to reroute another way.
I have the AE revision, part #05064033AE. Check for this Avoid Road on yours as I really thought it was present on my older 05064033AD disc.
I have also heard there will be an AF revision coming out in the next few weeks. Alpine updates the roads once or twice a year. Not always worth the $200 a pop. Ebay is cheaper.

Nope, I do not have that option.

I have the AD disc, on mine there is not avoid option. Believe me I did everything to make it appear, but it just isn't there.

I wonder if I bitch enough to the dealer I can get them to upgrade the disc. Hell, I've bought 7 cars/trucks from them over the years. I'll give it a shot. If not ebay is the way to go.
Thanks for checking, I really appreciate it.
Roy wrote:

Depends on the dealer I suppose. I can always burn a disc with or without the in-motion patch.
Have you ever had it done Miles or has one of your countless relatives done it? If not, then you don't know WTF you are talking about.
"miles" < snipped-for-privacy@nopers.com> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Always resort to arguing doncha?? Yes I have had it done and the results were so-so. Learn the properties of metal before inserting foot into mouth about what you do not understand.

Ouch! <G>
Roy wrote:

I'm just having fun! Thats what its all about.

I know.
The dealer is ordering me a new disc 'cause my old one doesn't work all the time(wink wink) Hopefully it will be the new one. If not I found a couple on ebay.
Again thanks for your time on this.

Roy,
Could you e-mail me? Got a question for ya. Delete all the capital letters from my indicated e-mail address.
Thanks

On the way.

It kicked back. I'll try it again.
Roy wrote:

Didn't think about that route! It's under the 3yr/36000 mile warranty. Hopefully it will be the newer revision as thats the only one available for sale.

That's my thought. If not there's ebay. I understand that burning them is a pia. Something about double sided or some such.