sagging leaf springs on 4x4 dodge

i have a 1974 dodge 4x4 and the springs have no crown left in them.... can this be helped by replacing the spring pads or by possibly adding extra thick shim pads between each leaf???

Reply to
Sha Zam

I would have them re-arched.

Reply to
TBone

Yes, have them re-arched, but I also added an extra leaf on each side..much improved (cost about $350.00 at an independent frame and spring shop)

Charlie The OC '01 ram 1500 4X4 quad cab

Reply to
cjc1200

On a non-Dodge vehicle I had years ago, I was able to take apart the spring pack. And replace all but the big, long, main spring. It was still a heck of a lot of work, but less than replacing the entire spring pack.

I got the replacements at a wrecking yard. A plug in impact wrench paid for itself that day. For the U-bolt springs, I heated the nuts up with an acetylene torch. Stick the impact wrench on real quick, and hold the trigger down until the nut came off. The other spring, a friend and I had done the entire job with hand tools. The impact wrench made life a lot easier.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never heard of this process. Please tell us more.

Is it cheaper or easier than getting a pair of springs from a wrecking yard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A good spring shop can do this. Not your average suspension or truck place, but one that works on Semi's, motor homes, etc. I was going to suggest the same, but TBone beat me to it.

Reply to
Ed H.

This is done by professional spring shops. Basically, they take the spring apart, re-bend the leafs back to what they were and in some cases, they add an additional leaf and put it back together with new pads and bushings. While it is not always cheaper, it is easier and you basically have a new spring again. When you buy from the junk yard, you don't always know what you are going to get and while they may guarantee the springs that they sell you, you still have to remove the old ones and put the junkyard ones in and if they are bad, you get to take them out again and start all over.

Reply to
TBone

Rebent isn't nearly as good as a new spring but for a vehicle where new springs can't be had it's probably better than used.

Reply to
miles

That is very true. I would think that after going through the work of removing the spring's plus the cost one would be way ahead by having new springs made up.

Miles, did you try the disc?

Reply to
Roy

Have you ever had it done Miles or has one of your countless relatives done it? If not, then you don't know WTF you are talking about.

Reply to
TBone

Yes. Seems like my ISP has some Usenet problems lately. I enter in a destination and allow it to compute a route. Then I press the NAV button and select Route Options. One of the options listed is Avoid Road. It lists all of the roads and highways used in the route and allows me to select them to avoid. This causes it to reroute another way.

I have the AE revision, part #05064033AE. Check for this Avoid Road on yours as I really thought it was present on my older 05064033AD disc.

I have also heard there will be an AF revision coming out in the next few weeks. Alpine updates the roads once or twice a year. Not always worth the $200 a pop. Ebay is cheaper.

Reply to
miles

Always resort to arguing doncha?? Yes I have had it done and the results were so-so. Learn the properties of metal before inserting foot into mouth about what you do not understand.

Reply to
miles

Nope, I do not have that option.

I have the AD disc, on mine there is not avoid option. Believe me I did everything to make it appear, but it just isn't there.

I wonder if I bitch enough to the dealer I can get them to upgrade the disc. Hell, I've bought 7 cars/trucks from them over the years. I'll give it a shot. If not ebay is the way to go.

Thanks for checking, I really appreciate it.

Reply to
Roy

Ouch!

Reply to
Roy

And what exactly do you call all of your posts in this thread????

Really, what vehicle?? That sounds more like you picked a so-so rebuilder.

I do understand the properties of metal Miles, despite your whining and a good spring shop will understand them as well and do what is required to bring the spring back to factory specs. Now if you know so much and think that this can't be done, then why did you have it done yourself. That sounds kinda stupid of you to me.

Reply to
TBone

I'm just having fun! Thats what its all about.

Reply to
miles

All one single post prior to this in this thread??? I only replied to your initiating a typical argument.

Several 1960's and 1970's vehicles. The results were so-so but better than nothing. It does not return the spring to like new performance. No way. Your comment about which rebuilder I used is without merit.

No you most certainly do not understand the properties of metal with regards to spring, hysteresis, fatigue, residual stress and far more.

Reply to
miles

Depends on the dealer I suppose. I can always burn a disc with or without the in-motion patch.

Reply to
miles

I know.

The dealer is ordering me a new disc 'cause my old one doesn't work all the time(wink wink) Hopefully it will be the new one. If not I found a couple on ebay.

Again thanks for your time on this.

Reply to
Roy

Roy,

Could you e-mail me? Got a question for ya. Delete all the capital letters from my indicated e-mail address.

Thanks

Reply to
Tom Lawrence