Save to store gas in truck tool box?

I have an aluminum truck tool box in my truck bed and I was wondering if it is ok to store a 1 gallon plastic blitz gas can in it. The box isn't completely air tight and there should be enough ventalation but I
was wondering if there was some danger of explosion due to heat.
Has anybody else stored gas in their truck box, more importantly are they still alive?
Raul
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have carried 5gallon cans in my aluminum box. I don't think it's a problem as long as you know there is enough ventalation. The biggest thing is that you want to make sure there is nothing else in the box that could ignite the fumes, like tools, steel against steel causing sparks, ect. I always carry a mapp gas torch in my box but make sure to take it out when I put the gas can in there.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Of course anything is possible. That being said, firetrucks ( I am a retired firefighter) have carried gasoline tools and gas cans in compartments that aren't necessarily vented and I have never heard of an explosion. That doesn't mean that it has ever happened or that you could be the first. :-)
If you take precautions you should be ok. Don't fill the can to its maximum because the gas will expand and possibly overflow into the compartment in hot weather. Don't be smoking when you open a compartment. With the box being aluminum, there is little chance opening it will cause a spark.
Use common sense.
Hank
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

The people who tried it can't post their response because they are no longer alive :)
Fill the blitz about 3/4, so it's not expanding in the summer heat. Pour it into the tank and replace the gas twice a year, gasoline goes stale.
I've known folks to store a Blitz in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. Or inside a van. No worries.
The only guy I knew who blew up a vehicle had a propane torch in the back. Aparently the valve opened, and filled his truck with propane. The guy's a smoker, and mighta coated his nasal passages with tar. He says he threw something in the back which caused a spark. My guess is he leaned in to light a cigarette, wasn't paying attention. Or maybe was too smoked up to smell the odor they put in propane. Truck was a total loss, and he spent some time in the hospital burn ward.
Lantern, heater, Torch.... take the tank off the tip, guys. Much safer.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.