Scanner Advice Please

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy myself a new OBD-II code reader. I've looked at a few models on the web, and am leaning toward the Innova/Equus CANOBD-II Model 3110.

Does anybody here have anything good or bad to say about this one?

I'm also a bit confused about the CAN protocol. It appears that DC introduced this on some '04 models, and frankly, I figure that since I'm not likely to buy another scanner this decade, it's worth the small upcharge to include this feature, since it's going to be required on all cars soon.

Can anybody point me to a source of information as to which DC models use CAN, and what it is good for?

Thanks.

Reply to
Langerhans

I've been satisfied with a Model 3100, never heard of CAN before. Now you made me find this:

It's good for nothing! My next truck will be an oldie.

Reply to
terrapin

I have a GJ3-S made by Injectoclean and it is awesome and you can update it for free online and it support CAN now and it has a feed thru so you can connect it to a laptop or a PDA!

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Thanks for the reply. I gotta wonder how you found that page, as I thought I had wrung out their site for the info. Anyway, thanks again.

Reply to
Langerhans

The CAN bus is an industry standard inter controller network. It was originally designed by Bosch and has since been adopted by SAE. It is now used throughout the industry. The protocol is in the public domain and consequently readily available. Although the protocol identifies the structure of the data sentence, the contents of the data code carried is proprietary and is fiercly protected. That means boys and girls that the data can be read, but is meaningless without the ability to decode the contents. Owning one of these readers is only half the answer. The DRB III the dealers use also contains the Daimler Chrysler proprietary translation and that is NOT in the public domain. Of course the DRB III is ONLY available to dealers, it cost around $6,000 and its firmware is updated monthly. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the reply. I have taken a look at the Bosch CAN site, and you have cleared up some of my confusion.

I guess the takeaway message here is that, as a weekend mechanic who works only on his own cars, the value of a code reader capable of reading CAN data is somewhat questionable.

I may decide to go with a plain vanilla reader and save some bux.

Reply to
Langerhans