Secession opinion ...

Just wondering what y'all think of all the talk about Texas seceding. As a native Texan and fan of Texas history ... it's exciting to see significant history potentially begin to unfold.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

I think one civil war is enough.

I would like to see Mexico and the providences of Canada become states.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Reply to
Dimbo Spams

Agree. It doesn't have to be that way ... and frankly I don't think our new president has the "manhood" to lead a Civil War.

Maybe he'll send in some Navy snipers. :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

He's just a politician. He's pandering for votes against Kay Bailey Hutchinson. Secession has been a topic of conversation in Texas years before Perry or even Dubya was governor.

Texas, being the 12th largest economy in the world, would undoubtedly do well. The Hong Kong of the West, I think. However, there would have to be a solid plan to deal with the Mexican drug cartels and the illegal immigration. This would require raising an Army. No small task. All this assuming that the U.S. would "allow" the secession without a fight ...

The America of the past five decades is not what the founding fathers had in mind. It most certainly is not what the Government of the sovereign Republic of Texas had in mind when agreeing to be annexed. The talk of secession is gaining a lot of steam because of the blatant diversion from the Constitution.

Most folks liken the Union to a contractual agreement with the Constitution being the terms. Frankly, the U.S. government is in breach.

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

Hang on there, BK... I changed my whole life to move to Mexico and get AWAY from the BS in the States.. We're doing just fine without you.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Ya but you got the BS of Mexico politics and corruption to deal with. My folks retired in Mexico and have native relatives there as well.

BS is in both countries but heres how I see it. In Mexico politicians and law enforcement officers are corrupt and will get what they want through illegal means. In the USA politicians and law enforcement officers are corrupt and will get what they want through legal in the courts (warped laws, odd interpretations etc.) means. Which is better?

Reply to
Miles

Mexico, IMHO... But I should clarify by saying Baja California North, as that's my limited range.. I understand that mainland Mexico is very different from Baja, but I've never had the pleasure..

Here, we have little or no crime, low cost of living, and wonderful people that really want to help gringos acclimate.. What little BS that does filter down to us (like the non-smoking laws in bars that just passed) is a much lower dose than we had in the States.. That said, I would not give up my US citizenship, and defiantly appreciate the US Social Security deposits that I recently started getting..

You have to take everything with a grain of salt, I guess, but I've learned here that it's much easier to swallow with a slice of lime and a shot of good tequila..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Boy, has this newsgroup gone downhill. A controversial topic like this couldn't even generate a smolder after a week's time....

BigIronRam

So ... does that mean you're for or against it (secession)? :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

I think it's a great idea!

Half of the low life bums in the US already live there.

We can send the rest of the ignorant doofuses there then seal the border.

JAM

Reply to
j-rod

He has enough manhood to more with his one life than you could do with yours in 100 lifetimes.

JAM

Reply to
j-rod

Cut Texas off from the federal tit and it would wither and die.

JAM

Reply to
j-rod

BOTH directions? Promise?

Reply to
BigIronRam

With the way the world is moving towards a one world government I'm not sure what the point would be. Witness the increasing influence, if not actual power of the UN, the EU and Supreme Court "justices" sworn to uphold the laws of the US and the Constitution considering the laws of other nations in their deliberations. Then there's NAFTA, WTO, the "world" court...you get the idea.

Now we have a president who says we should be subject to what the rest of the world thinks. You might remember one of his campaign lines, "We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said.

"That's not leadership. That's not going to happen," he added

You see my point? Even the idea of independent nations is dying.

Texas has plenty of oil to support Texas and be a net exporter. Every resource of the federal government would be brought to bear on us with full force. And the UN might muster 15 troops to supplement the US forces. As much as they love to demean us, they'll never allow us to leave or be independent. Even if we were able to get out we might be subject to a worldwide embargo.

Remember, you called me out. Unless I see a good point made I'll remain silent after this.

Reply to
BigIronRam

As is the case with most dumb-asses that voted for him, you completely missed the point.

One thing is certain: Obama definitely beats me at one thing ... spending money that doesn't exist. This country will *never* recover from the debt we had prior to Obama and most certainly not after he's gone.

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

Your ignorance is showing. Texas is one of the few states that is actually pulling its own weight. The federal government takes in more taxes from Texas than it returns in services/programs. That's is not the case with MOST other states.

Texas would be just fine on it's own. Plenty of natural resources. Tax friendly to businesses. A sea port. High concentration of tech companies and colleges.

Research the subject at least a little *before* you post ... it makes it so much more interesting for the reader.

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

I do see your point and tend to agree with you.

Actually, I was just joking. But you made some good points.

Texas can make it if secession is the path chosen. However, further planning will be needed regarding the border with Mexico before attempting it, IMO.

Craig C.

Reply to
mcraigchr

I find that the 10th Amendment might become operational to be just as exciting. I don't want to see this country break apart. It would only embolden our enemies.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart