She's Home -and, OT, GPS power question

Oh, finally. Regulars may remember I was in the land of Oz not long ago. Well, I'm back in the good ol US of A, and finally so is my 2001 Dakota. Oddly, I missed the old truck. It's got a few more scratches, but hopefully most of 'em will wax out.

So 56k miles through, lessee, 5 countries? US, England, Scotland, Wales and Australia. Not bad for the old banger :)

Anyway. So, I bought a GPS (Garmin Nuvi 650). Two of the three 12v outlets in the truck are powered even when the truck is off, and the one that is not is in the ashtray - leaving it open will annoy my passenger (my hubby).

Here's the question: If I leave the GPS plugged into one of the always-powered sockets, and forget to turn the GPS off (or take it out), will it drain my battery? I know a "turned off" refrigerator did.

And, hello to everyone!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Welcome Home Jodi and Hubby!!!!!!

I sorta think you'll be okay if you forget. It should be good for 5 hours on it's own battery. It isn't really being used, just on.

Did you get Denny his CC cookies? >G>

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I'd say you are safe. My Magellen doesn't draw that much current, I suspect the Garmin is the same.

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (7/24/2008 7:05 PM):

Nah. Didn't think he really needs them. And, can't even make 'em for myself, my cooking gear - and everything else that didn't fit in a suitcase (like furniture and pots n' pans)- is still far, far away from me.

It's so much fun, camping out in one's own house. NOT.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I have a Magellan and though the power draw is small the battery in the unit gets hot if left on the 12vdc adapter more than about three hours. Found this out by accident, ran on battery only for about an hour and a half, plugged in the 12vdc adapter and drove on needed to change the detour parameters and hit the menu, the bat meter was showing a little flame symbol instead of its normal green square.

Your Garmin may have a better charge monitoring system but I would be careful until you know that you won't over charge the battery and damage the unit.

Happy Camping. snipped-for-privacy@NOPANTS.juno.com Remove NOPANTS To reply by direct E-Mail;

2003 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi, A/T, Tow Package, 3.92 gears (11 mpg Towing) 2001 Aerolite 21RDB 21ft TT (Scales 2900 dry)
Reply to
Thats Me

The Nuvi is the latest generation from Garmin and it draws MUCH less current than the older models. I have left my 660 on for 3 days with no ill effect on my 04 Ram. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

And, can't even make 'em for

Hey, the wife has all kinds of cooking utensils that she never uses. I'm positive that she'll share..

Glad to hear you and hubby made it back safely.

I got...err.. the wife got the Garmin 260W and we love it. It has a little button on the top left corner that you can push to the side to shut the unit off while it's still plugged in. I have no idea if yours has this button but it's worth a try.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (7/25/2008 10:02 PM):

Not the button that's the problem. It's remembering the button that's the problem.

As a computer geek, I often mourn that my memory is not upgradeable :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Steve Lusardi exclaimed (7/25/2008 12:16 PM):

Cool, that's what I needed to know. Thanks (I did say I have the 650, right? Wonder what that 10 points gets you that I don't have?)

Jodi

Reply to
jmc

Sure it is. After digging the jumper cables out 2-3 times, I guarentee you'll not forget to turn the gps off again...

Denny

Reply to
Denny