Shifting to save gas?

Had a fellow tell me today that, if I accelerate quickly, but avoid 4th gear and shift directly from 3rd to 5th I'll get better gas mileage.
I'd seen a thing on TV recently that suggested something similar - shift
to the next highest gear before you usually would, would save gas because - not sure if I got this right - less gas is used in the higher gears than in the lower?
Comments?
jmc wrote:

Throwing away an available gear ratio seems backward to me. A continually variable transmission (CVT) would have to be the best. That gives you infinite ratios, and the engine can operate at the speed where it's most efficient.
Airplanes use constant speed props to do that. Add throttle, and the propeller blades twist to take a bigger bite out of the air, while engine speed remains the same.
--
TThis explains it ALL!!! He was home schooled and his mommy
made his GES diploma for him out of needle point, to go

ah yes. backward. you have experience in that don't you?

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:22:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

In semis we do that all the time..its called skip shifing. But it should go begin in 2nd skip 3rd shif mid rpm into 5th. from 4th
I've always heard it called "Short Shifting". Used in racing, like the old Indy cars, to conserve fuel.
Larry Behold Beware Believe
: >wrote: : > : >>jmc wrote: : >>> Had a fellow tell me today that, if I accelerate quickly, but avoid 4th : >>> gear and shift directly from 3rd to 5th I'll get better gas mileage. : >>> : >>> I'd seen a thing on TV recently that suggested something similar - shift : >>> to the next highest gear before you usually would, would save gas : >>> because - not sure if I got this right - less gas is used in the higher : >>> gears than in the lower? : >>> : >>> Comments? : >> : >>Throwing away an available gear ratio seems backward to me. : > : >ah yes. backward. you have experience in that don't you? : > : > : >>A continually variable transmission (CVT) would have to be the best. : >>That gives you infinite ratios, and the engine can operate at the speed : >>where it's most efficient. : >> : >>Airplanes use constant speed props to do that. Add throttle, and the : >>propeller blades twist to take a bigger bite out of the air, while : >>engine speed remains the same. : : In semis we do that all the time..its called skip shifing. : But it should go begin in 2nd skip 3rd shif mid rpm into 5th. from 4th

Pete wrote:

Ah, semis. It almost sounds like they're in the same gear after a shift. Kind of like shifting a 10-15-18-21-speed bicycle, I suppose. You won't want to run up through every gear all the time, just lose precious momentum doing that.
--
This explains it ALL!!! He was home schooled and his mommy
made his GES diploma for him out of needle point, to go

This is ture but if you want to save gas with a manual, you do not want to accelrate quickly or skip 4th. If anything, you want to get out of 1st and second quickly without taching it out. Especailly first. Do not slip clutch much either

Airplanes do it mainly to maintain peak HP RPM while accelerating and climbing out as air desinty and speed changes. When you go for max economy on a piston powered airplane with a constant speed prop you actually reduce prop RPM too along with manifold pressure. (take a bigger bite at a lower RPM) because the prop consumes power slicing through the air too and in a econ cruise you can save fuel by reducing prop RPM. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Your vehicle`s RPM`s are lower the higher the gear your in. The lower the RPM`s means your engine isn`t working as hard. ( Just don`t take off in 5th gear ) LoL

On Wed, 23 May 2007 20:29:49 +0930, jmc

Accelerate gently and shift up as soon as the truck will pull in the next higher gear.

Don't some Vipers have Skip Shift? The transmission shifts from first to fourth at low throttle to save gas.
Al

My Z06 had it as well. Some deal for the epa mileage thing. It is a real pia, but very easy to eliminate. The first mod everybody does.
Roy
On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:20:37 -0400, Roy wrote:

huh...never noticed...of course the 5 or 6 times i had the opportunity to drive a viper i wasn't babying it LOL. guess I'm lucky the law didn't come after me with the way i pushed the throttle.
Chris
05 CTD