shimmy 2500 rams

getting severe shimmy on my 04 2500 on the freeway going over 70 mph when hitting a bump in the road. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
I have a rancho leveling kit with 35 in. tires. Knowone seems to be able to fix the problem> Rancho has there teck's looking into the problem. Chrysler says no problems. any imput? thanks, jd

My 04 CTD is solid at hy-way speeds even pulling a heavy trailer. It's not lifted. BTW: Mine is a 4X4.
Al
Try a tire shop and tell them what is wrong I'd bet it's your tires being out of balance

I can ditto Al's post in my '03 2500. I've never had a problem.
Did it do it before the lift and oversized tires? If it only does it after a bump, I would suspect the shocks. Also, try changing the air pressure in the tires. John
John, This isn't rocket science. Adding five inches to tire height with a lift kit using your original wheels, additional unsprung weight, with no other changes, puts safety in question. The lift kit puts your bounce and jounce ratio out of center, which will cause severe toe change on bump encounters. The angle of incidence, which is the imaginary line through the center of your king pins/balljoints should intersect the center of the tire's contact patch on the road to effect neutral loading of the steering arms during bounce/jounce, braking and acceleration. By adding the extra tire height you have shifted the contact patch inboard and now the intersect point of the angle of incidence is outboard which creates severe compression and expansion loading of the tie rod, the tie rod ends and pitman arm. This is a very unsafe situation. I would do 2 things immediately. I would add 1/4" spacers to the wheels and use gas filled heavy duty shocks. This is a Band-Aid, not a total fix, but it should keep you from killing yourself or someone else. Steve

John Dodd wrote:

It is the result of the lift and the tires. Check alignemnt and balance and pay very close attention to front axle caster angle too. It likley needs more negative caster. (top of axle tipped forward) 35's is a lot of rubber to stabilze and beyond its orignal design.
--

www.thesnoman.com

My stock 04 2500 is rock solid on the highway with or without a trailer. The fix may be easy. Go back to a stock set-up and enjoy the ride.
Woody; 95FXDS