Should I buy a new 2007 with older 5.9L Diesel?

I'm thinking about buying a new 2007 Ram Quad cab Diesel. Found a dealer who has a 4x4 with the Big Horn package and some other options. MSRP is 44K. They will come down to 38K. There must be a factory to dealer rebate I don't know about as this price does not include the factory to dealer rebate of $4000. So that brings the price down to 34K. My company is a supplier to Chrysler so I can get another $5000 off. That brings it down to 29K.

This particular truck has the older 5.9L engine which is discontinued. Any reason not to go with this engine and instead opt for the newer models? One issue I see is that the new engine also comes with an exhaust brake which I do not see listed on this truck.

Reply to
Huff

The 5.9L is a proven engine. There's nothing really new with the 6.7L engine in and of itself to raise reliability concerns, but there certainly is in the emissions systems. That's still a big question mark.

You're also giving up a 6spd transmission for the 4spd (assuming we're talking automatic transmissions here). The exhaust brake is integrated into the 6.7L engine via it's variable-geometry turbo. You can add a traditional butterfly-style exhaust brake to the 5.9L-equipped truck (factory approved, dealer installed) for about $1,300 or so.

Even with the loss of two extra gears (6spd vs. 4spd), and the little loss of power/torque (350/650 vs. 325/610), I'd be hard-pressed to pass up a $29K truck over what would probably work out to be a $40K truck at least.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Also for what it is worth, from what I have read the 5.9 is about 170 pounds lighter than 6.7 with most of the extra weight going to new emissions hardware and in theory more stuff to fail or need servicing over time. The 5.9 is a well proven mill and very mature in design while 6.7 is still quite young. It also remains to be seen how the MPG will pan out on 6.7 and it is nice to give them a few years to get the bugs out of any new tranny from any maker and not be a test dummy for it yourself. For the money I would get 5.9 (sweet deal) unless you feel that you really need the 6.7.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I suppose the one thing that I would want to add would be the exhaust brake. It is not listed as an available option. I have heard that Dodge will void portions of the warranty if an exhaust brake is used with certain transmissions on certain years.

Found out I can't get all the discounts I was hoping for. This trucks MSRP is 42K, the 44K included 2K of bogus dealer ads. I got a copy of the invoice and its 38.5K. I can buy it for 33.7K.

The invoice date is 11/29/2006 which is odd to me for a new truck. Does this mean this truck has been sitting on the lot for this long? Seems unusual. Or it was sold and financing fell through and returned. Will have to check on that.

Reply to
Huff

See:

Nosey

Per Dodges website the exhaust brake (item code 76K) is not available after 3/9/2007.

Reply to
miles

Is that because on the '07s and up, it's integrated, so they stopped offering it as a separate factory option, or did they actually stop offering it for install on the 5.9L-equipped trucks? Starting in '06, Dodge finally got their shit together with transmission hardware and ECM software to implement an exhaust brake - the dealer should still be able to install it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Invoice date was pretty much when it was shipped to dealer. I have seen some that have sat longer. Warranty starts day of purchase not invoice and since it has been there for a while you may be able to squeak out a even better deal from them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I did just that. I had two reasons though.

- I thought that ULSD would be hard to find. It is the only diesel that is sold here in Canada now, so it would not have made a difference.

- I also like the idea of having a tired and proven engine.

My CTD has dragged my trailer 2800 Km to Winnipeg and back as its break in. I now has over 8K on it and most of it involves towing. I love the truck and the engine. It is now fun to tow our trailer again.

We have had NO issues or concerns with the 5.9.

wayne

Reply to
Wayne J.