Shudders on highway & Dies at Stop signs - 98 Ram 1500

Help!

This has been going on about a month now.

About 15 minutes into my 30 minute drive to and from work, my truck will shudder or lurch like it momentarily loses power. It feels like running over a speed bump on the highway. This may happen 2 or 3 times before getting to where I'm going. I don't think I'm losing total electrical power because there is no break in the radio or AC. This also happens with the radio and AC off...

Also, about a couple times each week, when I come to a stop, the truck will just die. Starts right back up with no problem...

There are no check engine lights.

I took it to the shop and they ran a diagnostic with no results and told me to take it to Dodge.

Dodge did a diagnostic with no results. So they started playing the guessing game which has cost me $313.00 so far. Here is what they did: 1) Change spark plugs 2) Change PVC Valve 3) BG Major fuel induction system service with injector kit and throttle body gasket

Nothing has changed!!!

QUESTION: Can an electrical fuel pump gradually go on the fritz (dumb question, I know) and/or after driving for a while can the motion of the truck shake up any crap in the fuel filter and clog it up enough to cause the above problems?

Dodge wants $700.00 to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump and filter. Can't afford this to be another guess...

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks PCB

Reply to
PCB62

YES to both. Besides crap in the tank or fuel filter, you could have water in the tank, too.

Reply to
Gene Poon

I'm sorry this isn't an answer, I'm here looking for answers too and yours was the only post with the same problem.

Our 99 Durango has been doing exactly the same thing. It dies about once a week now. I got an answer from this group about six months ago and it did work for a while. We went for months with no stalls and then it started again. That first solution doesn't seem to be working anymore. Here's what we did back then just in case you want to try it.

We took the air cleaner off and cleaned out those butterfly things with carburetor cleaner and a soft cloth. The gunk builds up in there and it's kind of a fine powder when it comes off. Anyway, I don't know if that was what made it work or if it was just a coincidence, but for a while it was fixed. It started dying at stops about a month ago.

Right now we're where you are. We've been told that it's "probably" the fuel pump, but we were also told it's "probably" the coil, (bought a new one- it wasn't that.) and it's "probably" electrical. We were told by Dodge that a fuel pump would be $800 and by a friend that it would be $300. Auto Zone has one for $180 and one for $240. With all the differences in price, we don't know what to do. My instincts tell me to go with the friend for 300, but he's never changed one before. The Dodge guys would have a warranty but I don't trust them.* It's just more guessing games. Diagnostics came up clean a week ago and the mechanic said he would have to drive it around for a few days until it quits and then he could tell us what's wrong. (I don't know if he was serious or not.)

This Durango is a 99 and only has 30,000 miles on it. It still looks like new and I love driving it but I can't trust it. Even after the fuel pump is changed we won't know for sure if that was it until it dies again. (Right now we're looking at Toyotas.)

*The last time we took it to the Dodge dealership because the check engine light wouldn't go off, we noticed when we got home that someone had left a little bent paper-clip laying on top of the battery. It was bent into a perfect U and the two points were an inch apart. Anybody know what that might have been used for? Is there anything in the engine that's the right size to be damaged by sticking that wire into it? It could be something they use as a tool, but it looks very suspicious.

We never said anything to them about it but now that we're having trouble we do wonder.

Reply to
Kate

there is a filter screen between the lockup / overdrive solenoid assembly (accessible with the pan off and a T-25 Torx, RH side of the valve body, has a three wire harness going to it, white-black-red); if the filter for the lock-up solenoid is plugged, it will lock-up immediately as it hits 2nd and stay locked up till it drops into first on the coast-down

don't know if this fits your symptoms exactly, but you might check it

the filter screen / gasket wil be stuck tight to the solenoids, don't try to take it off, just wash the dirt off the exposed side with carb cleaner or similar

WARNING: it WILL plug again, that dirt is being generated somewhere............

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
NerdRevenge

Why would you pay for something that was not fixed???? You took it in to get fixed, not to replace a bunch of parts that do not need replacing.

If they play the guessing game, they have to pay for THEIR mistakes, not charge you for them. Thye are the ones who are suppose to know what is wrong with it, after all are they not "factory certified"?

Reply to
NerdRevenge

Reply to
bad

I had a stumbles, fails, and then restarts problem. After some complicated work (like pulling the fuel pickup out of the gas tank) it turned out to be a clogged air filter.

Like he says, change the air and fuel filters, first.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then check the EGR. EGR stuck on at idle will definitely do it.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

So will the throttle sensor.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I had that happen on my Dakota last year. The Crank position sensor is prone of failures. Located behind leftside of engine behind valve cover. Not to hard a fix, just a little need of a good reach to loosen the one bolt for the mounting. You should have had a fault code devolope on the Engine check light cluster when you do a call up on codes stored by the key routine (off , on). Studder-backfire and stall upon stopping at a stop. Is a good dead give away for this issue. P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent P0340 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit SCOTT

Reply to
Scootter