smoke-dog, front axle woes

smoke dog (http://inlinediesel.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID 49) is stuck on the lift at the dealership. i took it in to get them to replace the front pinion bearings due to the play in the front pinion. i had expected
the job to cost me $950. i was surprised by a call 5 hours later telling me that the axle housing had been damaged by the outter pinion bearing, that that due to the loose tolerances that my housing was bad and required replacement.
they found a salvaged front housing and the entire job is now expected to cost over $3000. this seems unreasonable to me. i asked them if they could shim the bearing (its sitting too deep now) and they said this cannot be done and that replacement is the only possible option at this point. typically i do my own repairs but my shop is still full of work related equipment and im not going to attempt a front end swap in -20 degree weather.
i dont know the point in this thread other than to whine a little, and seek other possible options. if anyone knows of a salvage housing (or complete front axle assembly) to fit a 2001 2500 that can be purchased and shipped reasonably i would appreciate it. any other reasonable suggestions also appreciated.
Nathan In Montana http://CarryGuide.com

Try www.car-parts.com It's a website most of the wrecking yards list on. I've used it several times and it works great.
Denny

thanks denny, i WISH i had done this first! found a complete axle for $1200 thats only 5 hours away.
Nathan In Montana http://CarryGuide.com http://InlineDiesel.com

Nathan, Did you check eBay? I just searched, and found a bunch of them for under $1K. No saying if the gears are the same as yours, but a few calls or messages should give you the info.
I'd be tempted (were I you) to fetch the truck back from the dealer, and seeing if I could shim the bearing... Just because they won't do it (I can guess why) doesn't mean it can't be done. How far off is it (Do you know?)

im uncertain how deep it is, but accept what they are telling me. the biggest issue here is minimizing down-time. if the truck isnt rolling its costing me.
Nathan In Montana http://CarryGuide.com http://InlineDiesel.com
Smoke-dog is rolling again. The axle ended up costing me $1200 and the dealer ended up charging me $1100 for labor but at least I have it back on the road.
--
Nathan In Montana
http://CarryGuide.com

You got a complete used axle for $1200???? And the labor was $1100????? Almost sounds a little steep to me.
Denny

message
Maybe that included the diagnostics that they did on the old axle? I'd almost have to think that was the case given the number. Can't be more than a four hour job, right? Don't even have to bleed the brakes, just tie the calipers out of the way, drop the drive shaft, pull the tie-rods and other stuff like that, then drop the axle.

Book time to R&R the complete assy is just under seven hours. I didn't think of the tear down and inspect of the original diff so that might be in the ball park..
Denny