Snow Plow on a 05 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4

I know the truck isn't heavy duty, but can a 8' plow be used on this truck to plow driveways? I'm not talking about doing big parking lots just residential
driveways. This truck has the Hemi in it & a manual 4X4 shift lever, none of this automatic stuff that fails. It also has limited slip rear end & the 20" wheels.
1997 SFA 60920 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 AMA 602785 Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect. Add a "-" between mr and wizard This is what we have to do to prevent "Spamming?" Sucks doesn't it?

If you want to plow you should get a 2500 with a HD drive train.
You might be able to get a light duty 7.5 foot plow but that is intended for very light duty homeowner use. See for example: http://www.fisherplows.com / under plow selection.
Your truck does not have the front GAWR for an 8" regular duty plow and that 1500 auto trans may not like plowing. The 20" tires don't help either.
Woody; 95FXDS
Yup! This is going to be ugly! But I am not selling my truck that I just got 2 months ago, so I can buy a HD version. I'll just have to kill what I got & use the 7 1/2 foot plow.
Thanks for the input & the Fisher plow link.
Kurt
On Mon, 02 May 2005 06:59:58 -0400, Woody <> wrote:

1997 SFA 60920 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 AMA 602785 Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect. Add a "-" between mr and wizard This is what we have to do to prevent "Spamming?" Sucks doesn't it?

2 months ago, so I can buy a HD version. I'll just have to kill what I got & use the 7 1/2 foot plow.

BTW, I plowed my own driveway (gravel 650') for three years with a '97 Ram 1500 manual trans and a Fisher 7 1/2 regular duty plow. Fisher guidelines said that I could only mount the light duty plow but the composite cutting edge and lack of shoes would not do well on the gravel.
The reg duty plow maxed out the front GAWR so I did not drive on the road with it except to get home from the dealer the 1st time.
In three years I went through 3 sets of front axel U-joints, 4 front stabilizers, both tie rod ends and both front axel seals. I have upgraded to a 2500 both for plowing my driveway and for manual trans towing capacity. (I just don't like an auto trans).
So if you plow with a 1500, expect the front end to take a beating.
Woody; 95FXDS
<Woody> wrote in message wrote:

My experience has been different. I have a '95 1500 automatic trans and put a 7 1/2' Meyers on it when I got it in '98. I did put the quadcab springs and a set of timbrens on the front end after I put on the plow. To date (knock on wood) I've had no drivetrain breakage. I do change axle, transmission and t-case fluids every year. The only problem with the truck that I can blame on plowing is that I tend to cook the power steering fluid. I even put a cooler on the return line out of the gear and it still gets hot. Now that I think about it, I did put a track bar on it a couple of years ago.
I plow a commercial route and it usually takes about 6-7 hrs to cover it on an average snow. If you use a bit of common sense when plowing you'll be ok. Just remember you got a light duty truck and not a road grader.
Denny
Well I have a quad cab, but it is running torsion bars in the front, which is kind of hard to beef up. Not like adding a leaf or a different coil to it.
I never beat my other truck when I was plowing (1978 GMC 3/4 ton) & I never broke any parts either. I'm sure that this Ram 1500 won't be as hardy as my old GMC was, so I am sure I better be real easy on it.
Thank-You for your info, it has been informative!
Kurt

1997 SFA 60920 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 AMA 602785 Due to E-Mail spamming bots my reply address is incorrect. Add a "-" between mr and wizard This is what we have to do to prevent "Spamming?" Sucks doesn't it?
Well I have a quad cab, but it is running torsion bars in the front, which is kind of hard to beef up. Not like adding a leaf or a different coil to it.
Check out www.timbren.com I've got these on my truck and have put several kits on friends trucks. They work great. You can also adjust up your torsion bars also but when you do it will also raise the front end.
Denny
On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:45:15 -0400, Woody <> wrote:
I once had a 3/4 ton GMC pickup with a 8600 GVW now that was a sturdy truck. I was plowing with that using a 7 1/2 foot Fisher plow (I really wanted the 8 foot plow but they wanted $300.00 more for it at the time) I never broke anything while plowing for 4 years with that truck.
But, it sure looks like I will be with the Dodge. If this Ram 1500 can't handle a plow very well, then how are these little mid-sized SUV's doing the job?
Plowing a gravel driveway is the pits! In the Spring you would end up re-grading it. You must have had your work cut out for you.
Thanks for the information, this opened my eyes!
Kurt