some more K&N stuff

something i saw on a forum that i just knew would interest everyone here.

In reference to your question about air filters. K&N is best for flow restriction but hardly the best performer for removing particulate material from entering your engine. Personally I would never use a K&N for a personal vehicle, a race car? maybe. Anyway here are the results of the air filter tests that is posted at dieselplace.com.. Just sharing real data here.

FLOW RESTRICTION: FROM BEST TO WORST: FILTER RESTRICTION in Inches H2O K&N 4.54 Mystery bargain filter 4.78 AFE Pro Guard 7 Panel 4.99 Purolator 5.05 WIX/Napa 5.06 UNI 5.40 Baldwin 5.71 Amsoil 5.88 AC Delco 6.23

DIRT HOLDING CAPACITY:From best to worst. This is the AMOUNT OF DIRT it took to create an ADDITIONAL 10 inches of water restriction. At that point the test is terminated.This indicates HOW LONG a filter is good before it must be cleaned or replaced. AC Delco 573.898 grams WIX/Napa 447.366 Purolator 388.659 Baldwin 388.154 UNI 374.638 Mystery bargain 350.402 AFE Pro Guard 7 232.516 K&N 211.58 Amsoil 196.323

TOTAL DIRT PASSING THE FILTER DURING THE TEST:. This is how much dirt your engine will take in if you use the filter for the duration that would cause the filter to become "dirty" enough to need replacement or cleaning. The "Dirt Passing The Filter" is the dirt collected by the "Post Filter" during the test. FILTER DIRT IN GRAMS PASSED AC Delco 0.4 g Baldwin 1.1g AFE Pro Guard 7 1.8g Mystery Bargain 2.4g Amsoil 2.7g WIX/Napa 4.4g Purolator 5.0g K&N 6.0g UNI 7.9g Note: The Purolator was reported to have a seal malfunction during the test and passed more dirt than it would have with a good seal.

Reply to
theguy

Here we go, again!! :)

So many Garys and Clydes ..so.. "Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

i know, sorry.....................but i thought that some actual information might be a pleasant change.

Reply to
theguy

Lets see, 6.0 divided by 0.4 = 15x the dirt (AC Delco vs K& N)

That still doesn't answer the question: does helium have weight?

DJ

Reply to
DJ

I put a Napa 2790 filter on my Cummins. It is a HUGE paper filter. It's the best of both worlds. It has the pleated paper media, enormous capacity and outstanding flow. The only down-side is that it doesn't mask the turbo whistle like the stock air-box. I guess that's not really a down-side unless you are towing. That whistle gets annoying after about 6 hours. See pictures (not mine) at:

Nosey

So K&N is 27% less restrictive than the most restrictive.......Which means more stuff through it..... 27% more.....interesting, it lets 5% more stuff through than the nearest competitor. Sound familiar yet?

And its collect just 37% of the dirt that the best filter did before it needs to be changed...... but since it passes more dirt, it may last as long.

So the K&N passes 1.2 times the Purolator, 1.36 times the Wix, and the rest are over the 1.5 mark... or 50% more dirt......

Expressed in percentages simply to confuse certain persons.....

Reply to
Max Dodge

and the debate goes on........

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Are you trying to confuse the issue with facts? Did the forum refer you to this page?

FMB (only one B in FMB)

Reply to
FMB

The only down-side is that it doesn't mask the turbo whistle like the stock air-box.

That there is purdy music ...

I guess that's not really a down-side unless you are towing. That whistle gets annoying after about 6 hours.

That's just heresy ....

Regards Slick_Willy

Reply to
Slick Willy