Sorta OT Need some info.

Seeing as I've become the southern gentleman I've4 been looking for something to run around in locally. don't need a 400+HP monster to drag my skinny ass, fishing pole and a cooler to the beach. So I've been looking at older Jeeps. The last one I had was a 75 CJ5, can't find one of them anymore around here that's any good. But I did find a 86 CJ-7 that has had a body off 3 years ago. 6cyl 4 speed that I'm thinking about looking at. The guy on the phone say's the mounts were done and so on, as well as brake and fuel lines. You folks have any thoughts?

Roy

Yes rabbit, it will have enuff power to pull my ass to the beach.

Reply to
Roy

Yeah, a Rascal!!!!!!! Or a golf cart!!!!

Reply to
azwiley1

If it had a body off resto it should be in pretty good shape. Two common problems are rusted frame and body mounts. Look it over well underneath if it has been used off road.

I would also post your question here, there should be some knowledgable folks.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I subscribed to that forum, but it seems pretty new but ya never know.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I already have a damn golf cart! It came when we bought the place last year.

Reply to
Roy

Didn't Nate have a Jeep site going after his battle with Jeep I remember he changed the name. Wondering if he had some info there.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Here's a nice little toy I wouldn't mind having to just drive around:

This is proof that the Hemi "will" fit in the new Dakotas and that Dodge is too lazy/stupid to figure out how to make it happen.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

I think you need one of those fancy everglade air boats first.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Or Budd's Chushman!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Roy, WAKE UP, the 400+HP isn't to drag your skinny ass, pole and cooler to the beach, it's to drag your skinny ass, pole, cooler and many tarpon back from the beach... Be optimistic.

With all the sunken treasure around, you also need the extra HP to haul your gold and silver trinkets back to the house. (You did get a good metal detector, right?)

I just today saw Diesel at 3.999/gal, ouch. I may be lookin for a beater or carpool myself.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Ya know I've been looking at the metal detector's. WTF while I'm wandering around the beach, why not.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I thought most folks had moved to the web site because of troll problems but I guess not. You can still try the newsgroup but it may be pretty dead by now.

rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Reply to
Mike

Yup, but he was more into nekkid wimmen than Jeep info.... that's why D/C lowered the boom.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

But nekkid women and jeeps (or just about any vehicle for that matter) go hand in hand! DAMN THE MAN!!!!!!!! LOL

Reply to
azwiley1

Depends (oh, sorry) on what else you use it for and how far the beach is.. Tons of desert rails, dune buggies, quads, etc. down here and a few jeeps..

The Samari is real popular but they scare the hell out of me as far as being tippy..

Nate will probably mention the Rhino... we almost bought one but it just wasn't practical and way too much money.. fun toy though, for sure..

We ended up buying a 95 blazer.. the little one... for $4k and it's been working great down here... Cheap to drive, everyone knows how to work on them... enough 4x4 for the dirt roads here and fast enough to take on shopping trips to the states.. Big plus over Jeeps and stuff is that it has AC and windows.. The older I get, the more I appreciate stuff like that.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Just my suspicious mind, bro.. but I'd want to know WHO did the body off and if they knew what they were doing.. Sorta like buying something with a rebuilt engine and finding out that snojob did the work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Good point bro. I figure the welds, if any, will be visible from under neath or back of a panel. I'll also bring a magnet with me. What I'm looking for as far as info goes, is inherent problems with that particular year.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I wanted the Jeep as it is a short money 4x4thing with a no top option, that after a day at the beach fishing with all the crap that get's spilled I can stick a hose in it and wash it out. A/C isn't a issue running on the beach, short errands the doors are off there and should be enough breeze.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

we're still looking for a beater, but we have to sell the Dakota first... We have 3 trucks now, if you consider the little blazer a truck, and that's one too many.. I just missed a chance at a 66 cj for $3,000 that would have been pretty much what you're looking for... pretty much 2 gauges and a couple of switches on the dash and that was it for creature comforts..bracket for the spare welder on, etc.. the sort of thing you could flood and let dry..

We're still playing with the idea of replacing the Dakota with a daily driver and putting bigger wheels and suspension on the blazer.. What I'd really like is one of the old umm... power wagons?? Ram chargers? whatever they were... a guy down here has a bright yellow one that he just rebuilt the 318 in, says it will go pretty much anywhere and climb anything..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The old power wagon had those swept front fenders, a real cool looking machine.

The 86 that I was looking at was actually a 81. But it was as near to perfect as any I've seen on line or looked at around here. The seller had all the pics of the restoration. The only thing that needs to be done is repair a oil leak at the tcase and transmission,. While I'm there might as well do the clutch as well. Oh, need some nerf bars so Sue can get into it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy