spark plugs, or "does something need to be fixed"

Got my truck back from the mechanic, they did replace my sparks. I asked for one, as a learning tool. Here's what it looks like:

The outside electrode is a pretty even gray, with just the slightest bit of yellow speckling on one side. The tip looks a tad narrower than the rest.

The center electrode is grey, the top isn't flat- it's markedly angled down toward the outside electrode.

The insulator is pretty much white/very very light brown speckled. Along the top edge it's a yellowy brown.

There's barely any corrosion at all, anywhere, but both electrodes, to my eyes, look worn.

The threads look a bit dark to my eyes as well.

According to the web page that was posted here a while back, and another one I googled up, my engine's running a bit warm. One site suggested something about vaccum leaks (it was a bike site) - and indeed my truck still throws a P0455 "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected". Could these two issues be related?

Truck runs fine, but still seems to lack a bit of the the g-force acceleration it used to have.

Thanks for any responses. (and TGIF!)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Sounds completely normal. Worn with a light tan or gray color, no heavy deposits. Color of the threads is meaningless.

Not in the least. Whole different issue.

Seat of the pants acceleration sensations are very misleading.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I don't think so. The PO455 relates to pressure in your gas tank. It pumps fumes back to the engine rather than released to the atmosphere.

I had that issue about once a year on my 2001 Ram. Check all hoses leading away from the tank. First I had a split hose end. Then it had a crack on the plastic hose manifold at the canister. I don't believe it would cause any performance issues but if your state tests like here in AZ they will fail it if an emissions related code is present.

Reply to
miles

Isnt this usually gas cap related?

Reply to
RM v2.0

It can be but from my experience the tank evap hoses and manifold are suspect.

Reply to
miles

Suddenly, without warning, RM v2.0 exclaimed (28-Apr-07 12:38 AM):

Yes, but gas cap was replaced, and light reset. Was back on very quickly.

jmc

Reply to
jmc