Sprinter van rust

My 2004 arctic white sprinter van is showing rust on roof seams and on the lower front door panels just behind the wheels. Does anyone else have this problem? What can be done about this? Earlier spot touch-ups
have held up well, but now the extent of the rust is major. Mechanically this vehicle has been rock solid. It's a shame that so much rust would appear after only 2 years of service.
I think there is a warranty for that,

There is but usually it is for rust through, not surface rust. Try some rust converter on it before you touch it up. It works well. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

It apears the surface rust is covered. This came straight from the Sprinter owner's manual. ----------------------------- B. What's Covered
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor
needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels
that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole
occurs because of something other than corrosion,
this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface
corrosion - resulting, for example, from stone
chips or scratches in the paint - is not covered.
For more details on what isn't covered by this
warranty, see 3.6.
This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
. For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months,
with no mileage limit.
. For an outer-body sheet metal panel - one
that is finish-painted and that someone can
see when walking around the vehicle - the
limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the
odometer, whichever occurs first.
3.6 Certain Kinds of Corrosion Not
Covered
Your warranties don't cover the following:
. corrosion caused by accident, damage, abuse,
or vehicle alteration;
. surface corrosion caused by such things as
industrial fallout, sand, salt, hail, and stones;
. corrosion caused by the extensive or abnormal
transport of caustic materials like chemicals,
acids, and fertilizers; and
. corrosion of special bodies, body conversions,
or equipment not made or supplied by
DaimlerChrysler Corporation or DaimlerChrysler.

Perhaps you should read it again. It clearly states HOLES from rust or other corrosion, not just rust or corrosion. IOW, if it does not rust thru, no repair. In fact, it clearly states that cosmetic or surface corrosion IS NOT covered.
"GeekBoy" < snipped-for-privacy@hehe.com> wrote in message

This is a cut and paste from the text YOU provided, pinhead. Maybe you should learn how to comprehend what you read, even these simple sentences. Perhaps you could try and get them on paint failure, but not just because of surface rust.
"GeekBoy" < snipped-for-privacy@hehe.com> wrote in message

from major surface rust. I live in the snow belt of the U.S. where salt applied to the roads which causes excessive corrision on vehicles. I have a 1997 Ford Contour with 109,000 miles that doesn't have a spec of rust.
The rust he is experiencing is due to a defective prep at the factory. Perhaps the metal surface was dirty before applying the primer coat, perhaps the primer was too thin or maybe it wasn't applied at all. If his dealer claims the vehicle isn't covered under warranty, he should contact the regional office to complain. If he gets no satisfaction there, he should keep going up the ladder until he reaches Detroit. The owner should also contact his states Attorney General for assistence. They handle issues like this daily.
When you see excessive rust like this in a "new" vehicle, it is not from external issues. Something is happening beneath the paint.

Well you are trying to tell this to someone who calls a black man a racist for saying facts about other black people.

Please show me exactly where in the definition it talks about the race of the person making the statement and don't worry, I'll wait.

Can you prove that beyond all reasonabel doubt that it was the paint that failed. Perhaps he washed it with paint thinner or acid and damaged the paint or compounded the paint right off of it. I am not saying that this happened, but you have no way of saying that he didn't. If he can prove paint failure, then they should fix it but .....

See what I mean..I think its time to plonk Bone Head

Be my guest moron but are you sure you can figure out how. With your comprehension of the rust warranty, I sorta doubt it.

You may not see it but it is there if not on surface, in the chassis and its parts. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
take it to your dealer, ask about the corrosion warranty, have the service manager and the regional rep take a look at it. worst they can say is no its not covered. with a little prodding you may be able to get them to come to a compromise if they are not willing to cover the body under warr.
--
-Chris
05 CTD