Sprinter van rust

My 2004 arctic white sprinter van is showing rust on roof seams and on the lower front door panels just behind the wheels. Does anyone else have this problem? What can be done about this? Earlier spot touch-ups have held up well, but now the extent of the rust is major. Mechanically this vehicle has been rock solid. It's a shame that so much rust would appear after only 2 years of service.

Reply to
bobeau

I think there is a warranty for that,

Reply to
GeekBoy

There is but usually it is for rust through, not surface rust. Try some rust converter on it before you touch it up. It works well.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

It apears the surface rust is covered. This came straight from the Sprinter owner's manual.

----------------------------- B. What's Covered

This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor

needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels

that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole

occurs because of something other than corrosion,

this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface

corrosion - resulting, for example, from stone

chips or scratches in the paint - is not covered.

For more details on what isn't covered by this

warranty, see 3.6.

This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:

. For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months,

with no mileage limit.

. For an outer-body sheet metal panel - one

that is finish-painted and that someone can

see when walking around the vehicle - the

limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the

odometer, whichever occurs first.

3.6 Certain Kinds of Corrosion Not

Covered

Your warranties don't cover the following:

. corrosion caused by accident, damage, abuse,

or vehicle alteration;

. surface corrosion caused by such things as

industrial fallout, sand, salt, hail, and stones;

. corrosion caused by the extensive or abnormal

transport of caustic materials like chemicals,

acids, and fertilizers; and

. corrosion of special bodies, body conversions,

or equipment not made or supplied by

DaimlerChrysler Corporation or DaimlerChrysler.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Perhaps you should read it again. It clearly states HOLES from rust or other corrosion, not just rust or corrosion. IOW, if it does not rust thru, no repair. In fact, it clearly states that cosmetic or surface corrosion IS NOT covered.

Reply to
TBone

No. YOU need to reread it.

"What is not covered: . surface corrosion caused by such things as industrial fallout, sand, salt, hail, and stones;"

Reply to
GeekBoy

He still has a valid argument...No three year old vehicle should ever suffer from major surface rust. I live in the snow belt of the U.S. where salt applied to the roads which causes excessive corrision on vehicles. I have a

1997 Ford Contour with 109,000 miles that doesn't have a spec of rust.

The rust he is experiencing is due to a defective prep at the factory. Perhaps the metal surface was dirty before applying the primer coat, perhaps the primer was too thin or maybe it wasn't applied at all. If his dealer claims the vehicle isn't covered under warranty, he should contact the regional office to complain. If he gets no satisfaction there, he should keep going up the ladder until he reaches Detroit. The owner should also contact his states Attorney General for assistence. They handle issues like this daily.

When you see excessive rust like this in a "new" vehicle, it is not from external issues. Something is happening beneath the paint.

Reply to
Advocate

Well you are trying to tell this to someone who calls a black man a racist for saying facts about other black people.

Reply to
GeekBoy

This is a cut and paste from the text YOU provided, pinhead. Maybe you should learn how to comprehend what you read, even these simple sentences. Perhaps you could try and get them on paint failure, but not just because of surface rust.

Reply to
TBone

Can you prove that beyond all reasonabel doubt that it was the paint that failed. Perhaps he washed it with paint thinner or acid and damaged the paint or compounded the paint right off of it. I am not saying that this happened, but you have no way of saying that he didn't. If he can prove paint failure, then they should fix it but .....

Reply to
TBone

Please show me exactly where in the definition it talks about the race of the person making the statement and don't worry, I'll wait.

Reply to
TBone

See what I mean..I think its time to plonk Bone Head

Reply to
GeekBoy

You may not see it but it is there if not on surface, in the chassis and its parts.

SnoMan

take it to your dealer, ask about the corrosion warranty, have the service manager and the regional rep take a look at it. worst they can say is no its not covered. with a little prodding you may be able to get them to come to a compromise if they are not willing to cover the body under warr.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Be my guest moron but are you sure you can figure out how. With your comprehension of the rust warranty, I sorta doubt it.

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
bobeau