Squealing at start up w/AC turned on... thoughts?

Our 2000 Durnago started making a terrible squealing noise whenever the truck is initially started up and the A/C turned on. If the A/C is turned off, the noise goes away after a few moments.
If the truck has warmed up a few minutes, the noise does not happen at all when A/C is turned on.
I'm 95% sure it has to do with the belt. However, would it be belt tension or indication the belt is getting old?
Would it be best to replace the belt now or use belt dressing for a while?
Will this affect the Alternator or A/C fuction at all?
Mr.

Could be the belt tensioner. I've had new ones squeal right out of the box.
Ken
it's the belt stretched or worn out

I know..tie rod or turbo causes that... :P if the belt is old try that.. a new belt never hurt ya...and if it stilll does it.. take it to a garage

Grab onto the belt and give it a pull. If the belt gives and then goes back the belt tensioner is ok and I'd just put a belt on it. If the belt has no give to it, then get a tensioner to go with the new belt.

I'm not a fan of belt dressing. The kind that uses silicone will cause a serp belt to slide off and the other sticky-gooey kind is a mess.

Neither will work if the belt breaks or comes off.
Denny