starting problem 2001 CTD

I've lately noticed a change when the starter is turning the engine. Until lately the engine always started very quickly after engaging the starter <1 second.
Most of the time when cold, and maybe a third of the time when warm, the starter cranks longer than usual. This morning it cranked for several seconds without starting. Shut off and tried again, it started quickly. Nothing unusual on the timing of the wait light or the sound of the lift pump. The 2001 truck has 170k miles, and the starter is aftermarket, about a year old.
Anything to test, etc to explain longer crank times?
Thanks, Bill

First thing I'd check is the fuel pressure being delivered by the lift pump. On the 2nd gen engines, they have a nasty habit of deteriorating, and eventually killing the injection pump.
is changing out the lift pump a pretty nasty project ?

Not at all... it's actually pretty easy.

Fuel pressure, lift pump.

Ooops, sorry Tom's post just showed up.

Never hurts to get a 2nd opinion :)