starting problem 96 dodge pickup

Have had an intermittant problem starting my pickup. Battery is fully charged, and all dash lights etc work, but get nothing when I turn the key. Can try it several days later and it will start, but after I shut off
the key nothing. I've replaced the ignition key switch, battery cables, and starter relay switch without success. I've been told it might be the starter or the rod that runs thru the steering column. Any one else had this problem?
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge.trucks / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

When turning the ignition to START, a "clunk"/no start indicates either a weak battery, bad starter contacts, bad battery cable, or bad starter motor. If you hear nothing when turning the key to START, that's either a REALLY weak battery, a bad ignition switch, a bad starter relay, a wiring problem somewhere, or a bad starter solenoid.
In your case, given what you've eliminated, it certainly sounds like your starter solenoid is bad/sticking. I'm assuming that if you have someone else turn the key, and you listen to the starter relay, you can hear the relay clicking.
Disconnect the battery, then remove the starter (pretty simple - just three bolts). On the bench, ground the starter, and then apply +12V to the solenoid terminal (the terminal with the smaller of the two wires that was connected to it - not the big cable that came from the battery). You should get a 'clunk' from the solenoid engaging. If not, and if you can't do it consistently, then it's time for a new starter.
How about the neutral safety switch. When it does this, try starting it in neutral.

"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Clutch interlock switch if it's a manual. Steve

might be where the group of wires go though the firewall just my two cents larry

Whe it won't start have some one hold the key in the start position & give the starter a light wack with a hammer