Starting troubles

1992 b250 van 318 cu - very low miles Twice over the past year, which is about all I've used this truck, after about an hour at 75 -80 mph drive, the truck would not re - start when it
was shut down for a brief stop. It acted like the ballast resistor was going bad, almost firing up , but not. Do they have ballast resistors anymore? Checked error codes, nothing other than the O2 sensor, but I'm sure that isn't the problem. Anyone seen this before? bg
bg wrote:

Just curious, but why are you sure part of the problem isn't the O2 sensor? rach
Because when a cold FI engine is first started, it is in open loop mode and the inputs from the O2 sensors are ignored
"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Thanks TBone. As you know, I am not good with newfound FI or emissions technology <grn>. I'll look up how "open loop mode" works. (and stick to the old models) rach
Why stick to the older models when the new ones work so much better.
"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Dear TBone,
<grunt> because I have no clue with the new ones, and TBone, maybe I'm an old dog afraid to try new tricks! (pun intended!) <grn> and no money rach
(not that if I had the cash I wouldn't buy a top-of-the line charger srt8 toy, and then go to town putting a Cummins 610 diesel into this summer's ram project
http://www3.sympatico.ca/rske/images/wheelbarrow.jpg instead of an old 360 from a 74 powerwagon, and restore the body and a custom paint job...) dream, dream, dream
Rachel Easson wrote in message ...

going
Beside Tbones response, I would suspect that the o2 sensor is telling me that I'm pumping some unfired gas due to long cranking periods? bg

after
it
anymore?
that
sensor?
While possible, it is also highly unlikely. By the time the system returns to closed loop more and is paying attention to the sensors that way, any excess fuel should have been burned away and if not, you would be smelling a fairly strong smell of gas. The sensor may either be bad or is indicating an actual fuel delivery problem.