Std Oil Pump vs High Volume vs High Volume/High Pressure

I have a Dodge 5.2L (318) and they list 3 oil pumps for it. Of course the standard pump and then a High Volume pump that is recommended for higher mileage engines which says it pumps 20-25% more oil and then they list a high volume/high pressure pump. I was thinking putting a high pressure pump in an older motor (100,000mi) would be asking for oil leaks to develop. I was thinking about the high volume pump, but are restrictor plugs required in the block like chevy small blocks are required or a higher volume oil pan?

Reply to
DJ

One other thing, high volume and high volume high pressure pumps take more power to run. I've seen them eat the cam and drive gear.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If you're having trouble maintaining proper oil pressure in an old engine, then a high volume pump is a good idea. The trade off is that they take more power to run. On newer engines, they can eat cam and distributor gears. One of the inherent "problems" with a high volume pump, is that you often need a high volume pan to with it. If it's just a street truck, and you drive it gently, it will probably be OK. If you're replacing the pump to get better pressure in an old engine, it's probably a worth while delaying tactic. Eventually you'll have to rebuild the engine (or sell the truck)

High pressure pumps are for racing only.

Reply to
.boB

This is all bull pucky. The extra power is minute and maybe if you have a tight engine and it is zero and you have 50 weight oil in and a rev the snot out of it cold you might strip the gear out. In a worn engine a higher flow pump is a very good idea because it floats the bearing a little bit better and cools then a bit more too and helps extend their life. The higher volume allows you to use a lighter grade of oil in a worn engine and still float the bearings properly. The only cooling the bearing receive is from the oil flowing through them and there is heat being made in them from shearing forces and a increase flow will tend to reduce temps in them a little bit too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You should stick to something you know about, like plowing snow.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What makes you think he knows anything about plowing snow?

Reply to
Roy

Ok Al, please show us exactly where he is wrong.

Reply to
TBone

Gee whiz! Did I say he was wrong? Or, did I say he should stick to something he knows?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Even I have to say "Huh" at this one Tbone. Roy made the comment about sticking to SnoBlowing not Al

Reply to
azwiley1

OOOps never mind my last Tbone, been a long day and I'm half a sleep...

Reply to
azwiley1

There you go again. Everyone else is wrong, and you're right. Even if you say the same thing with differant words, the other words are "bull pucky", and yours are not. Good thing you're around to set everyone else straight. If we were in a bar, I think I could stand about

90 seconds with you. I'm a very patient man.
Reply to
.boB

You didn't say it but you sure implied it and if you don't think so, then your command of the English language is a bit on the weak side.

Which means exactly what? Since he was correct here, he appears to know this subject or at least this much about it so what exactly is the point of your post?

Reply to
TBone

LOL, I was going to ask you to explain what this meant until I say the thread that you were talking about.

Reply to
TBone

Correct?? About what?

Al