steering problems

Got a '96 2500, Cummins, 4x4 and I'm having some steering problems. The truck has far too much play in the steering. The truck will grab imperfections in the road and pull the truck along those imperfections. Reminds me of a vehicle with bad ball joints. Has made for some "interesting" rides.

I took the truck to a Dodge dealer. The dealer replaced some bushings that held the front spindle assy to the axle. Minor improvement but no material change in ride quality.

I replaced the tires with Bridgestone dualer A/T's and changed the steering shaft. Minor improvement but no material change in ride quality.

Took the truck to another Dodge dealer. Replaced the steering gearbox, stabilizer and track bar. Minor improvement but no material change in ride quality.

Is there something these mechanics and I am missing? I'm seriously stumped - any ideas really appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
Tom_Freeman

Track bar?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I replaced the track bar during the second dealer visit. They seem to think that the ball joints are ok but I think I might just have them replaced anyway....

Reply to
Tom_Freeman

on mine it was a striped adjustment bolt on the lower link arm. i found it when i was installing new arms it cost $20 from the dealer. it holds the alignment and doesent fight the road.

Reply to
krenelka