Step assist input...

Ok, I'm looking to add a step for my 2500 QC and want the type that are actuated when the doors opens and then recess back under the truck when closed. Looking for anyone that has had any experience with these and any recommendations

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Motorhome experience: My mom was standing at the curb, outside the door. Door opened, step extended out and right over her feet. If that curb had been just an inch higher...

I think they're dangerous.

Reply to
Sparkle

I can see how that miht be a problem and glad your mom didn't get hurt. The step assists I've seen for trucks don't go that low and since the height of the 2500 is fairly high for my 4' 11" lady....I think this is something that I really need. My mom also rides with me from time to time and she needs the extra step too.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

You've really only got two choices... either the Kodiak Sidewinder steps

or the Amp Research PowerStep
I haven't installed either of these, but I have been in trucks with the Sidewinders, and they work well. They've received a fair amount of discussion on various forums, and I can't recall anyone being disappointed with them (only negative things I remember reading were some questionable wiring instructions for the '04s when they first came out). They can either wire into the door lock switch, or can use their own magnet switch to sense when a door is opened/closed.

The PowerSteps go for $1400 for the set, whereas a set of 4 Sidewinders would cost you about $800 for the 8" steps, or $1,300 for the 12" steps.

Kodiak now also makes a Power Bar (you can see it on their website) - but I couldn't find any pricing info. on it.

If you just wanted access to the front doors, I'd probably opt for the 12" Sidewinders. However, if you wanted to extend the access to the rear doors, I'd go with the Amp Research unit.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have installed the kodiacs in my '04 with Tom Lawrence's help with the wiring and they worked well for about a month when the driver's door step failed. After disassembly, I noticed that the gear quadrant to drive arm joint failed. I called Kodiac and they said that was early design ,which they made only a short time and since had been replaced with a better design. Kodiac would not sell me the arm kit, but gave me the part numbers for both sides and referred me to a dealer. I am now waiting on delivery. They cost $35 a side to modify. I am very happy with them otherwise. They are made well and powder coated. They fill the need, but are expensive. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

You had to pay? What about warranty?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No kidding!! With a known inferior design they should have given you those parts. One HUGE Strike against Kodiak!!

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Tom, I bought them on eBay for $350 not $700+. Thats why I had the wiring problem, they were for the 2001 model year and I installed them in the '04. Consequently, no warranty. I must say though, I didn't attempt realizing one. I thought under those circumstances that I had no chance. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi