Sticker shock!

Just got my oil changed for the last time here in Oz - last time it was mixed in with other services, so I don't remember.
It's cost me the equivalent of over $70! For regular oil!
Please tell me it's not going to be that expensive for a simple oil change in the US! (Dakota, takes 5 quarts).
jmc

The going rate in my neck of the woods is $20.
Ralph

It was 73.00 to change the oil in my truck, 13 quarts.
--
------MoParMaN------
---Scud Coordinates 32.61204 North 96.92989 West---

What kind of oil?
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:05:04 +0930, jmc

Huh, you are not doing it yourself?
Did my Hemi the other day, 8 qt synthetic and filter and it was less than $50 total. (And about ten minutes of time, most taken by a stuck oil filter!)
Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (4/16/2008 10:17 PM):

I used to, for years. But I can't reach the filter in this truck, I'm too short :)
Back in the day, our buying decisions for a vehicle included whether or not we could reach the oil filter & plug, since hubby isn't overtall either, and we both preferred to change our own oil :)
jmc

Guess you have not seen those steps they now sell in the stores. It hangs over the tire.

My 2500 has built-in steps on the front bumper... Works too.
Have chain steps would make a deal on them - Work great!
DudLee 4024085873
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge.trucks / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
jmc wrote:

For a typical vehicle using non-synthetic oil the typical rate is $20-$30USD. Diesel trucks are closer to $70.

Mostly runs around $20-$30 at a speedy type deal. Dealer will hit ya harder.
Roy

Crap, now I need a way to save myself from me...
OTOH...
A couple of years ago, took it into the dealer for warranty repairs, check engine light on. The replaced an O2 sensor. Didn't think much about it.
Well, the check engine light has been comming on frequently for the last year or so (about a year after they fixed it).
The other day, rolled under to change the oil and took a look.
IDIOTS! The mechanic, instead of properly installing the O2 sensor harness like from the factory, simply tie-wrapped it to the cross member! Well, one can guess about how long it takes that wire to wear through to the cross member!
17.95 Wally World

my dealer where i bought my truck in 2004 charges me $20.00 for 6 quart change and filter. airs up the tires to 35psi. and vacuums the carpets, as well.