sticky brakes grab hard

i have 3 older dodge trucks ALL have come down with sticky brake pedals . the pedal becomes vary hard to press down with no rebound... i have to pull the pedal up buy hand or my tail lights stay on... when i apply the brakes they want to LOCK UP!! and stay LOCKED untel i pull the pedal back up. .. . . .. is this the brake booster?? is this a vacume leak.. maybe in the manafold or the boster?? is ths a big problem with dodge trucks? it is stange how all 3 trucks have developed the same problem. .. PEASE HELP!! the trucks are all half ton pickups ranging from 1975 to 1981 problem started after each vehicle was stored in a damp atmospher last winter . . could it be some kind of vacume blockage from crorosion or carbon build up? THANK YOU

Reply to
john doe

go figure::: a dodge truck discussion forum and you girls can`t evan answer a simple question about brakes..... i should have asked questions about the best product on the market to make my tires shine... or who makes the best air freshener.... how can i get this nasty spot out of my carpet??? ..... sheeeesh!!!! ... what a group John Doe

Reply to
john doe

Suddenly, without warning, john doe exclaimed (12/1/2007 6:11 PM):

Relax. I think the regulars are on vacation, it's been quiet in here lately. I read your post but I'm not a mechanic so don't have an answer.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Well, you might try lubricating all the pivot points in the pedal, and that will be solved, since the PEDAL returns via a spring.

If your brakes are stuck on, its moisture in the lines, especially if you stored them in a damp environment.

Above all, get your friggin hands dirty and take a look instead of whining that we didn't answer the question. How do you figure we know all this shit if we didn't do it once or twice.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Thanks jmc & MAX i have lubed and oiled all moving parts on the pedal assembly and loosened the pin bolt holding pedal arm to the master cylinder plunger rod... still sticks... i will try bleeding the lines again and refill with dot5.. .. .. not sure if moisture in lines is the problem because i did a full brake job and bled the lines on one of the trucks last year.. .that truck started sticking just before i parked it last winter ... .. (again i ask the question).. does mopar have a known problem with brake bosters failing??? THANK YOU John Doe

Reply to
john doe

DOT 5 is in all of them now? May want to research DOT 3, 4, 5

Among other things I find, "DOT 5 also cannot disperse moisture that enters the system throughout the fluid like DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. Any water that does get inside tends to "slug" and settle to the lowest point in the system, which is usually the calipers and wheel cylinders."

Beryl

No but DOT 5 has a nasty habit of letting water build up and rust forms. Then the pistons stick as they try to plow through the rust. Pull the master and rebuild it. Then pull the wheel cylinders and calipers and clean them up as well. Then FLUSH the entire system with DOT 3 or 4 and enjoy the good brakes.

Reply to
Steve W.