STILL trying to find tires

im STILL looking for acceptable tire upgrades for my '05 cummins dually. id like to run roughly 33 or 34x9.50 with a somewhat aggressive tread (like bfg mt's or comparable) on my 17" factory wheels without using spacers. does anyone know of such a tire? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

have you considered Rickson wheels?

Max Dodge

i hadnt planned on changing my wheels, but even if i did i want a more aggressive tread than im finding at rickson.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Well, my tires are hardly "aggressive", and the weight of the truck does just fine getting me traction. I figured that a 19.5" wheel with G rated tires would be a good step for what you appear to be doign with the truck. Further, I'm sure someone makes tires other than those on Ricksons site.

Last... tires with "less than aggressive" tread are better than not finding any tires, right?

Reply to
Max Dodge

Check out Mickey Thompson's line of truck tires. There are a few with exceptionally aggressive tread on them.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

ive already got a set of less than aggressive tires. changing to another set of less than aggressive would get me nowhere.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

great tires, but way to wide for a dual setup.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

A number of tires, all medium duty. I suggest these as it'll give a bit of lift, and they will last longer. Noted tires are links with particularly agressive tires.

I like this one, looks like it would run on a dually fairly easy:

Another that looks like it would run in duals:

Very Agressive:

Max Dodge

all of these are the same link. the link you quoted doesnt go to individual tires, just the main menu. which tires on the menu are you recommending?

looks promising until you download the manual. available in 42" and 44" tires only.

42", 44", and 45" only.

44" and 46"

more of the same, from 44" to 54".

.........so im right back where i started, with no apparent options. any suggestions? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Yeah, modify your requirements or call a tire company with the current list. Somebody wants to sell you tires, I'm sure of it.

Reply to
Max Dodge

And to be a further smart ass... ya know, that index wasn't exactly hard to use. If you dislike the amount of effort in using that index, perhaps you should just drive your truck over to me, and I'll makes sure its treated well while I save you the effort of driving it.

Reply to
Max Dodge

i wasnt trying to be an ass. you were recommended specific tires, i only wanted clarification on which tires you were recommending, as the menu listed dozens. i do appreciate the effort, i just need a little more clarification on your recommendation.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Forgive the caps, its cut and paste.

FIRESTONE S. A. TRACTION ND FIRESTONE S. A. TRACTION DPLX BRIDGESTONE M857

From another site linked to thta list:

Firestone Destination M/T with UNI-T Dayton Timberline MT

Currently on my truck: Discoverer ATR Discoverer Radial STT

Kumho Road VENTURE MT

Kelly Safari DTR HVT

B.F.G. Krawler TA

Reply to
Max Dodge

overall diameter = 39.4" - 43.6"......WAY to big for my dodge.

overall diameter = 36.6 " - 46.5"

overall diameter = 42.6" - 46.7"

none of these listed will fit in a dual configuration, although the cooper discovery does come in stock replacement size. im fine with the stock width, i just want something a little taller. the stock tires are 31.8" tall, id like to find a 33" tall tire. a 33x9.5 r17 in a load range e aggressive tread would be perfect.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Jeez, maybe if ya said that up front......

Of course, the reason (AGAIN!!!!) I suggested the Rickson wheels is because you will gain quite a bit by upgrading the size and load range of the tires you use.

Are you suggesting that a Dodge 4x4 doesn't have space for an extra 4-7" of tire? Rickson feels a 35" tire is a bolt on. They sell 285/70/19.5E, which is 3" more. I'll bet many people have done more than that, since Rickson also has a size larger than that.

Reply to
Max Dodge

tom you seem to be on top of this stuff as much as anybody ive ever known. i need tires offering a semi-aggressive tread pattern (like a bfg mt, interco trxus, etc.) that are slightly taller than stock (say 33" tall or so) with width that will work on a dually on the stock 17" wheels. i can find the cooper st in stock size, but i want a little taller. any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nate, I've been following this, and done a bunch of looking on my own. I know exactly what you want - unfortunately, I don't believe it exists. It's the 17" wheel requirement that nixes a lot of choices.

The closest that I can find is an Interco SSR in 265/70R17. That's a 10.5" wide tire, and is rated for a 17"x7" wheel. You have a 6" wheel. It would fit, but I wouldn't trust it with a load. You'd also need wheel spacers, because the stock 9.25" wide tires only have about an inch of clearance between them.

Now - I found a guy that's done pretty much what you're looking to do, over on DTR. Take a look at his photo gallery here:

He's running 35" Baja Claws, on custom wheels (don't know the type - you'd have to e-mail him). Everything looks good, except for the clearance (or lack of it) between the rear tires. It looks like they touch. That's not good for heavy loads - causes the tires to heat up too much.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

argh.....it really sucks ass that i cant find a slightly taller tire with an aggressive tread to fit my stock wheels.

ok, to accomplish what i want.......roughly a 33" tall 10 ply tire with a tread similar to this:

if i didnt care about buying aftermarket wheels of any size, what combination would you recommend? bear in mind that the potential for maxing/overloading the gvwr/gcvwr exists. i dont want to add a lift, although a front leveling kit is fine.

oh man now THATS a dually! to bad he cant use it to its full potential anymore.

ive just ordered a slide-in camper for the back of my truck. figuring at least 4500# in the bed and then pulling my enclosed trailer loaded with either a jeep or atv's/dirtbikes and ive got about another 800# potential tongue weight from the trailer. with this kind of weight i dont like the thought of running spacers.

thanks tom, i know if anyone can come up with a working solution on this it will either be you or max.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nope, definately not. You absolutely need a load range E tire, which you're not going to find with any of the "off-road" type tires. And moving up to

19.5" wheels, the tires with enough weight capacity (either load range F or G) and the tread pattern you want are going to be at least 38", if not taller - they won't fit without a lift, which is counter-productive to what you want to do with the truck.

However, I do see a Toyo M-608 tire that looks somewhat aggressive, available in 245/70R19.5G, which is about 33" tall. A set of Rickson 19.5" wheels would run this tire. See here:

Tom Lawrence

better, but not quite what i want. , im just before converting my truck to SRW so that i can get some decent tires.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier