Strange Behavior on Accelleration

Salient info: 2004 Dodge Durango Ltd., Hemi, Auto

While driving today at about 65 mph (2100rpm), I kicked down the accellerator to pass a truck. Tranny seemed to kick down, engine started to wind up, but despite pedal to the metal, the RPMs refused to go over about 3900, and engine seemed to lose power. Removing foot from pedal, tranny apparently upshifted and I slowly crept past the truck at about

2600rpm.

It was a hot day, but a/c was off. No other unusual loads on vehicle, and no mods. Air filter was changed 3k ago. When I stopped, the 3-click trick showed no codes. I did the throttle limit reset number, but it just recurred while driving home. It's still under warranty, but with no codes, I just know I'm going to get a "could not duplicate' at the dealer.

Any ideas what caused this and what I can do about it?

Reply to
Langerhans

RamMan

Suddenly, without warning, Langerhans exclaimed (20-Jul-06 5:19 AM):

Something very similar happens very occassionally with my 2001 Dakota - first incident, in fact, was on the second day I owned the truck.

Mine, however, happens when I'm going slow, and temperature has no bearing. In fact, all times but one I was backing up, then going forward, when the same thing would happen - press the pedal, no power - mine would try to stall. I would just turn it off, then back on, and the truck would be fine. This usually happens only once or twice a year.

The last time though, it happened while we were in traffic, going through Glasgow, Scotland. Going slow, but this time in second so a bit faster, same thing happened. Stopped, turned off, back on, worked fine. I've only just gotten my truck back on the road after yet another overseas move, so I can't say yet if the Glasgow incident indicates the problem is getting worse, or if it was just a one time thing.

I'd always figured it was a problem between the pedal and the seat :)

What's the "throttle limit reset number"?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Try higher octane fuel

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Turn key to 'on', but don't start. Press gas pedal to floor. Release. Turn key to 'off'.

Supposedly, this teaches the computer the limits of travel of your pedal.

Reply to
Langerhans

SnoMan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And waste your money and possibly damage your engine.

You have no clue and just toss out something without thinking it through?

Sheeeesh!

Reply to
Borzoi

Tank was 3/4 full of name brand 89 octane.

BTW, I tried to reproduce the problem today, and couldn't. I put my foot in it at 60, and was at 90 and still accellerating in short order. That's why I bought a Hemi.

Does anyone know if a code would be set based on poor fuel delivery? I'll have to dig out the FSM to find the fuel filter. If it's an inline cartridge, I suppose it's worth changing. If it's an on-the-pump-in-the-tank unit, I think I'll wait for more repeatability before undertaking that chore.

Reply to
Langerhans

At this point, the best thing to do about it is nothing. It may have been a one-time software glitch that will never reoccur again. Keep in mind that everything under the hood is controlled by a series of computers and sensors and it is not uncommon to have a random one-time event occur. If the problem repeats itself or if you get some sort of warning lamp, then its time to have the vehicle diagnosed and repaired.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, Borzoi exclaimed (21-Jul-06 2:54 AM):

Well... actually, I've been forced to use higher octane fuel than my truck's manual says (2001 Dakota), as I was in the UK and the lowest octane available was 93 (no idea if the formula for determining octane is different).

Anyway, three years running 93 octane on a truck rated for 87, and it seems to have survived with no ill effects.

Somewhere in the archives is the discussion that was sparked when I originally asked about this...

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Damage your engine? Geeze where did you hear that...

Reply to
PeterD

Ah, it's a hemi!

I'm convinced that the Hemi's engine management system is less than perfect. Mine does things that I consider rather 'odd' as well, on a "it feels like it" basis.

BTW, what's the top end on yours?

Reply to
PeterD

As advertised, it appears to have a governor at 111 mph. But it still pulls hard at 110.

Reply to
Langerhans

You are the truely clueless one here with no real grasp on engine operation orfuel knock cotrol and the effect it has on engine performance. The hotter it gets the more octane it needs and your statement of damaging the engine with it really shows your total lack of understanding here because low octane fuel can indeed damage a engine and at the very least shorten vale life because the kncok vibrations (even at a level below hearing it) cause valse to vibrate in seat which causes leakage that can lead to eroision with time. The blind leading the blind. What a surprize sometime? hook up a real time OBD2 monitor and what engine time on a hot day with 87 octan and then with 89 or 93 and the difference is plan to see (if you can figure out how to use one that is)

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Have you switched recently (willingly or otherwise) to the new 10% ethanol blend fuel? Have you recently run extremely low on fuel? If so there is always a possibility some varnish or other tank crud has decided to come forward & gum things up. Still I wouldn't concern myself just yet unless the problem continues happening.

Reply to
RamMan

Only time I had a problem like that was after stopping on a really hot day and then getting back in a few minutes later and driving. By the time I got about 2 miles down the road, the vapor lock that occurred from an overheated fuel line finally kept the fuel from reaching the carburetor. I don't know if fuel injection systems can suffer the same fate, but mine just coasted a bit until the air block passed and the fuel started flowing again. If you had stopped for just a few minutes just before it happened, then the underhood heat may possibly have caused the same problem with your truck.

JPH

Reply to
JPH

Hey SnoIdiot, Didn't you give me a rash of trash a while back about a few typos and that I should educate my kids instead of teaching them to shoot?? I'm not gonna mention a thing about that trash you just pecked out..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

It isn't just this trash, it is the constant trash he pecks out.

Ya had her back to the range? Let her get comfortable with the AR, then give her a few 30 round mags and let her have at it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Probably going back out Sun. afternoon. By the way she keeps eyeing the two Mausers, I think she is thinking of knocking me off so she can inherit....

She says ar's are for sissy's...sorry friend... Maybe if I could teach her to bump fire she'd change her mind..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

That shouldn't take much to 'fix'!

Reply to
PeterD

Probably just kick yer ass and take it.

Hey!!! Is this the one that I met in Maine???

Roy

Reply to
Roy