Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

Threaded View

I have a 1999 Dodge RAM 1500 with 5.9L V8.

I started having a strange problem. If, like before a traffic light, I
brake to come to stop, _sometimes_ the oil pressure gauge would tilt
all the way to the left (zero) and the panel would beep and the CHECK
GAGES light would light up.

That lasts under a second and then everything is back to normal.

Is there any known problem that could account for it?

thanks

Re: Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

first question i have to ask is, have you checked your oil level?? if its
not full add till its to the full mark on the dipstick and take her for a
test drive. then monitor the oil level and see if/how fast it drops again.
you may have a oil leak or oil consumption issue or may not depends on how
often you check your fluid levels and change oil.

--
-Chris
05 CTD

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:06:57 -0400, Christopher  Thompson

thanks, will check that tonight, and will change oil also.

Re: Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

I have a '98 Durango with a 5.2L V8.  Mine had a very common (so I
discovered) problem where the oil pickup screen accumulates carbon.  My
gauge would be indicating optimum pressure then dive to zero with no
warning.  At first I thought it was electrical within the gauge or sending
unit until I heard the ticking from my lifters.  I suffered with this for
many months by turning the engine and recranking it while coasting.

The fix finally came when I changed the oil.  I refilled it with 1/2 oil and
1/2 diesel fuel and let it run for about 15 minutes.  At that time the
lifter clacking started and I shut it off.  I then drained and refilled with
normal oil and a new filter.  No problem since.

If you're just low on oil, shame on you for not checking it before posting
your question.  If your oil is OK, try the above procedure and let me know
how you make out.

Re: Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:26:57 GMT, "Fred Aston"

It is more varnish and VI than anything and it is also a sign that
either your oil brand is not doing its job or you are leaving in in
there too long because if it does its job and your change it often
this will never happen because the oil will keep the comtaminates in
suspension until you change it. THese deposits happen when oil is full
or ineffective as suspending them.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com

Re: Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

I'm quite certain that was my problem SnoMan.  I bought the vehicle used a
couple of years ago and tried changing the oil a couple of times trying to
fix it.  The varnish of course would not drain with the old oil.  Since it
was used, no telling what the maintenance habits were of the previous owner.
Mine are very religious with Castol GTX.  What oil do you use?  I've tried
many others in other cars and found the Castrol to hold up the best.

.

Re: Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

and
with

Re: Strange Oil Pressure Problem -- 1999 Dodge RAM 1500

On my 92, the oil pressure sender went nuts. Showed very low oil pressure at
idle and the "Oil" lamp would flicker. Hooked up a mechanical gauge and all
was well. Changed the sender, oil pressure is fine. But now the sender fails
every year. It leaks oil out of the top where the connector attaches. Not
good if you have a stick shift truck as the oil runs down the back of the
engine and gets on the clutch. I'm on my fourth sender now:(

Al

Site Timeline