Synthetic Oil

Is there an benefit to using synthetic oil in a Dodge truck transmission? I have a 97 Dodge Diesel 2500 Automatic.

Reply to
Dennis

RamMan

Thanks for the response. I'm going to purchase a 26.5 ft 5th wheel and wondered if the synthetic stuff would increase the life of the transmission. I'd heard that it doesn't heat up as fast as the regular oil.

Reply to
Dennis

It heats up just as quickly... the difference is it doesn't break down (as much) in the presence of that heat as a dino oil would. That said, the whole idea is to keep the heat out of the transmission in the first place. Change the fluid/filter on a regular basis (as per the maintenance schedule for HD or severe service) using Mopar 7176 fluid (or compatible - ATF+3 is widely available. Do NOT use Dexron of any type) - keep the fins on the transmission cooler free of debris - and above all, lock out overdrive when pulling hills and the transmission is hunting between 3rd and 4th. You should consider installing a transmission temperature gauge, so you know exactly what's happening to your fluid, and can either back off the throttle, or manually downshift in order to mitigate the heat.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks, Tom.

Reply to
Dennis

overdrive

Good advise Tom! SYN fluid can take more temp BUT the tranny seals cannot so best thing to do is to keep it cooled and the fluid and filter fresh.

Reply to
SnoMan