Tansmission downshifts by it self

I have a 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.2L auto. Here's the problem, driving along is ok most of the time. but sometimes it seems fine then I let off the gas and when it slows to below 50mph it hits third then secound. i give it the gas and it may shift or not and if it does it hits hard, also it may make 3~4 shifts in a three secound time frame. No codes. about a year ago i replaced the speed sensor and tps. I have reset the computer so many times now i it does it on its own. this problem is not always there. I can go for one, two and even three weeks, but then it may do it for days on end. any help would be great thanx

Reply to
pyager1

Codes should be there for governor pressure solenoid and transducer, since thats what this sounds like. However, in the 98's, you couldn't get codes by simply operating the key, you have to use a scanner.

I suggest you scan it at the time the problem happens, and see if it shows a code. Regardless, I think a thorough check of the governor solenoid and trasnducer are in order, as this is a fairly common problem in these trucks.

Reply to
Max Dodge