technicians - thought for the day

Here's something to consider (for factory technicians, regardless of vehicle manufacturer...)
"Trying to make a living doing warranty work is like trying to win a golf
tournament using only a putter."
:-)
JD
Then charge a competitive rate or prove that you are worth the higher rate and you will win the business. Unfortunately, most dealerships have done neither.

"J Drum" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamfoothillranchcjd.com> wrote in message
Keyword he used was "warranty" work. Warranty work does not sufficiently compensate for the actual amount of time required to complete most tasks. With warranty work, you get what the factory says and nothing more. If it actually requires 5 hours to complete a task the OEM pays 3 hours for....you choke on the rest.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

"Carolina Watercraft Works, Inc." < snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com> wrote in

And in order to get the good paying customer work down the road you have to be ready and willing to eat the "peanuts" that come your way, both under warranty and out.
As service manager 20 years ago I had the philosophy that if the job wasn't big enough to be worth the $25 it took to process the paperwork from end to end, the job was done free. That meant I replaced a lot of bulbs, wiper blades, flashers, and fuses gratis.(customer bought the parts at the parts counter and I installed them) I freed up a lot of sticky door handles (the curse of the mid eighties Toyota) for no charge - and no paperwork. I had more paying work than I could handle, with a retention rate of well over 100% for most of the 10 years I held the job, and I made the DP a millionaire.
There are still a few dealerships in the world that will do that, but they are few and far between. I, for one, was never able so spell service with only 4 letters.

Then you appear to be one of the ones that have earned the higher rate and like you said, it is a rare thing.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:16:33 GMT, "Carolina Watercraft Works, Inc."

I always found warrranty paid pretty darn good, considering most warranty work on Toyotas was due to "infant mortality", so nothing was rusted or dirty etc.A good tech could routinely beat the book on Toyotas from 1969 to 1996 - don't know how much it's changed since then.

task
A good dealership, with good techs..(not outstanding, but good) techs, considers warranty work to be bread and butter work most of the time.. We cant help it if Brents just not up to the task at hand. Sounds like hes just bitter, and is not able to maintain with the other guys in his shop.
Funny you mention it: I can drive 180 yards with my putter (270 with my 5W). You must be like an independent, can't go far even with the right tools.
Brent
180 yards, huh? Maybe you are the idiot that everyone on this newsgroup says you are. Lyin' sack o' shit. Probably never picked up a golf club (or a wrench, for that matter) in your entire life.

Steve, I maintain quite well with fellow techs. I did not achieve shopforman and service manager positions, then give it up voluntarily because I couldn't maintain. I gave it up because I beat the crap out of warranty time and take home more than my service managers. My complaints are with the teary eyed customers that never opened their warranty manuals. To J drum, try driving with the putter some time. It's fun, and 180 yards is nothing for someone with a good swing. My short game sucks however, and the putter is better used off the tee. I can easily be on the green on two for a 540 yard par 5, yet 10 putt for a crowd displeaser.
Brent

Then you should try it in my field... Its warranty.... But its gonna COST you $1500.
BUT ITS WARRANTY!!!
Thats the way it works..stuff we didnt sell, or install...
I will take warranty all day long...the entire idea is to make money....why give it up?

message

Steve, looks like you have him now. Play nice with your new friend!!<BMFG>
Roy

Why? There are liars and hacks in all trades....and hes no different. Whine, whine, whine....someone should put him on the warranty fast track, and never think about anything but greensheets to that boy..