The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.
Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.
To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.
I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?
Thanks!
Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:35:15 GMT, "Joe Colella"

You mean the new windshield didn't come with a rear-view mirror thingy built into the glass? Every time I've replaced the front glass, I've begged them to raise the mirror up, they say they can't because the adapter is built into the glass..... But seems if the problem is getting glass off the mounting bracket, you should be able to remove the swivle bracket at the bottom away from the mirror, then fix something up to hold it in place and all, beat the crap out of the mount with a hammer, and all glass should be destroyed.... Then, lightly sand the bottom to remove any excess adheisive....

Sorry for misleading you... This is not a new windshield; as a matter of fact, it is the original 1993 windshield. I think you and I are talking oranges and apples. In any case, thanks for try to help! Joe

You don't - you replace the windshield.

Thanks for the advice!

Seriously - not to be sarcastic... once there's any crack started, especially on an older vehicle (who's body isn't as rigid, and will flex more), vibrations and heat/cold cycles will cause those cracks to spread, usually all the way across the glass.

Tom,
Sorry for my response. Your advice had my best interests at heart and is appreciated.
Joe