tic, tic?

My truck is making a noise again. It's worse now though. It's a sort of metal-sounding tic, that I can hear and feel through the steering and sometimes brake and clutch. Used to only happen when I turn left, now I feel/hear it accelerating and braking. Might have a frame component, 'cause I've heard it when the front tires go over bumps (but not always).

In the past, this was a seasonal thing - it gets better when the weather gets colder.

Any idea what this could be?

Oh. Truck is a 2001 Dodge Dakota, 4x4. Sometimes I forget we're not all regulars here :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Nobody?

Actually, I think the noise is more of a short creak. It's definitely heat related in some way, when we got underway this morning & it was relatively cool, hardly any creaks, but as the day and the truck warmed up it was more noticeable. And it happens when the truck first starts moving too (like from a stoplight).

I would like to have some clue what to suggest to the mechanic when I bring it in. Will be a new shop (essentially, since it's been 5 years), and like to go in sounding like I know something, so they don't take advantage 'cause I'm a grrrl. I'd like to avoid some Jiffy Lube wannabe telling me my flux capacitor needs to be replaced :)

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (7/30/2008 6:24 PM):

Reply to
jmc

Jodi, have you tried bouncing the front end? Hop on the bumper and see if you can get it to make the noise. Where it's a 4X4 you might need hubby up there as well to compress things. Sounds like it might be a suspension deal brought about by weight transfer. You could always grab a can of silicon spray and start at the bottom and spray a component at a time and see if you get it to stop. Does it have a front stabilizer? If so, I'd start there.

%Roy

Reply to
Roy

Well, were this mine, I'd check the CV joints and the hub bearings first. Then the diff... I've a similar problem with my 2500, not a ticking but a squeaking, which I've traced to crappy u-joints in the front axel.

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (7/31/2008 5:57 PM):

We could try that... though hubby's not much bigger than me. Together, we hardly make a Denny... ::looks around:: did I say that? I didn't say that!

I think it does have a front stabilizer, but I'm not sure.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I'd guess together all of us don't make a Denny...

I think the question not asked (or I missed it) is this a rolling squeak (tick, whatever), or not? (does it happen every tire revolution...)

Reply to
PeterD

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (8/1/2008 10:20 AM):

No it isn't. It's a single creak, or series thereof, no relationship to tire revolutions(I'd have mentioned it, if it was). It happens in response to something, though since I'm generally doing multiple things

- steering, braking, clutch, shifting - I'm not 100% sure which one(s) is/are causing the noise.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I had a similar sounding clunk on my 2004 Dakota quad cab, 4.7 w/ manual trans... I also felt it through the steering wheel and brake and clutch pedals. The dealer ended up replacing the secondary steering shaft, which fixed the problem. My clunk was most noticible when taking off from a stop, especially if I had to turn the wheel. Larry D.

Reply to
LarryD

I don't believe ya said that. Glad that ya did though. Not that I would cheap shot ol wide ride.

That is going to cost ya a couple dozen CCC!!

You are probably going to have to bounce it. Also as sombody mentioned, the steering shaft, give it a yank and see what's up with it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Considered shocks as a likely suspect?

Reply to
PeterD

WTF????? Both of ya 200 lbs soaking wet?? No wonder ya'll can't handle a Dakota......always fighting on who puts the step ladder away.....

This is gonna get serious now....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

And another cheapshot artist joins the foray......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

No shit!!!! See what your big mouth has done........ turned the entire group into a bunch of smartasses!!!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (8/1/2008 7:51 PM):

Nope. I've put new shocks on recently; no change to the noise, which predated the shocks by some time.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (8/1/2008 9:27 PM):

200? Heck, knock 1/3 of that off and you'll be closer... Vertically challenged, we are.

I can handle the Dak just fine, thank you (I had steps installed). Getting into Hubby's new Jeep before he installed the steps was a bit more challenging :)

Lol, I had a coworker a while back who was barely 5' tall (yes, even shorter than me) and he drove a huge Ford pickup - 350 I think. Made my Dak look tiny. We used to suggest he install an elevator :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, LarryD exclaimed (8/1/2008 5:01 PM):

That sounds about right. My Haynes manual is still in transit. Would I be able to get my hands on the secondary steering shaft, and how would I test it?

I did have a TSB done a while back, something about the steering column slipping off a bracket or something. Made no difference. There's no play in the steering wheel, I can't move it from side to side or anything.

Was that an expensive and/or time consuming repair?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

we were a bunch of smart asses before Roy ever opened his mouth...He is just more vocal than some!

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

Nothing better than a cookie maker with a sense of humor.......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

You always lashing out at me, for no good reason.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Of course, only the best will do. Actually it's 'cause you are such a large target. Do you really want be to tell the truth??

Roy

Reply to
Roy