Tie rod supposed to wiggle?

hello, first timeoposter first time lurker
2000 dodge ram 4x4 short bed.
I won't get into the clunk I get stopping and starting...but I was looking
under the truck today and I can actually grab hold of the sway-bar link that the drag link ( on 4x4) is connected to and move it back and forth (it twists towards the front and i can twist it back) and the ends pivot at the ball joints.
is it supposed to do that? there is no left-right play when shook.

Answer to your question is no, it is not supposed to wiggle. Would bet good money that the "clunk" and a loose tie rod are to blame for both :-)
Just had one of my tie rod ends go bad within the last week ('92 4x4 CTD w/205k miles), and have an appointment for repair on Thursday. Highly recommend that you visit your local mechanic and have him/her take a look see about repairing this.
The ability to rotate is normal but it should take some effort. With your hand or with some vice grips, you should be able to rotate it 30-45deg. If you can do it with two fingers then it's probably worn out. LD

that
the

yeah, by hand, not REAL loose, but i can pivot it with a little force. makes sense to me. thanks LD. I just wanted to eliminate that as the knocking problem, i think it is the steering shaft.
I have been getting a forward and back clunk felt in the steering wheel after I drive it a few miles during breaking and accelerating when the nose dips or lifts.