tightening belt on 2001 dodge 4X4

I am having problems with my powersteering pump and think I need to replace it. However, there is a one length snake belt and I was told to check if
it is tight first. How do I tighten and loosen it? Do I need to loosen it before I take the pump out?

There's a spring-loaded tensioner with a pulley that applies constant tension to the belt. Looking from the front of the engine, it's just to the left of the fan. Put a socket with a breaker bar on the nut that holds the puller, and turn it clockwise. This will release the tension on the belt, and you can then slip it off the pulleys.