Time for some discussion on upgrades that do work

I have been lurking inside this group since my first dodge truck back in 97. I am now an owner of a 2004.5 325 600 2500 Cummins. With all the talk about K&N and the claims and disclaimers etc. what upgrades are recommended and why? I see ads in TDR for "air tabs", for chips, for dual exhaust, for induction systems etc. Without this turning into the inevitable "diss" session against one another, could we have a discussion on this topic, and enlighten all the readers? Have a safe holiday weekend, and continue in your thoughts our fellow citizens in the gulf coast area. Joe

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!!!!"

GO FAST AND THE WRINKLES WON'T SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Dimbo Spams

Absolutely, positively no K&N filtration systems of any kind on your engine. They simply don't filter enough particulate matter. AFE's PG7 filters have been shown (through oil analysis) to work well, as well as the UNI dual-stage foam filters being used in the Scotty Air Systems intakes.

What's your purpose for looking to upgrade? More top-end power? Better fuel economy? Quicker acceleration?

There are several different fueling boxes, as well as tuners, available that work well. (Fueling boxes are add-on modules that trick the ECM into delivering more fuel, or delivering fuel sooner - tuners re-program the ECM directly to alter the fuel and timing curves). On the low-end (40-70HP), boxes like the Edge EZ and the Quadzilla XZT are popular add-ons. In the mid-range (80-120HP), you have the Edge Juice, the Quadzilla Xzillaraider, and the Bullydog Powerpup (this is a tuner). On the high-end (140-200HP), there's the Edge Hot Juice (just a software upgrade to the Juice), the Xzillaraider race version, the Bullydog Powerpup w/ their "Crazy Larry" program, or the TST PowermaxCR (with either the standard program, or the twin-turbo program). With all but the low-end here, you don't just slap these things on and go... you need to address other areas, such as the intake (get more air, at less restriction, into the turbo to help lower EGT's), the exhaust (gotta get all that air and burned fuel out - less restriction is better here as well), the turbo (stock turbos will run out of their efficiency range, and/or choke off the exhaust stream, making for high EGTs), the fuel supply (a higher capacity pump is needed to keep the fuel pressure to the injection pump in the positive region when adding more fuel), and the drivetrain (clutch/transmission upgrades are necessary to cope with the added power).

Entire books can be written on this subject, as needs and goals vary widely from person to person. What exactly are you looking to get out of your truck?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Tom, what's your take on the BHAF? For those that don't know what that is, it's a Big Honkin' Air Filter. Just remove the factory filter box and hose clamp one of the following part number filters on the end of the inlet hose to the turbo. These things are HUGE. Pictures:

Fleetguard AH19037 NAPA 2790 WIX 42790 Donaldson B105006 Baldwin PA2820 Hastings AF1012 AFE 20-40044 Carquest 87790 John Deere pmah19037 Big A 93790 Caterpillar 3i0005 Fleetrite ahr819037 Luber-finer laf2531 Fram ca6818 UNI 908

Reply to
Nosey

I think they also provide excellent filtration... I just can't fit one in my engine bay anymore :) They make up for the slightly higher restriction of the paper element with volume (as you say, they're huge... and Bob's running a fairly small one, at that).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence