Time to change the starter

I got to change the starter on my 2000 CTD.

Taking a peek underneath on what tools I will be needing, I see unfamilair "bolts" holding the starter in place.

They look like male Torx bits. What are these called so when I go looking for tools to remove them?

Thanks.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

I would think that if they look like Torx bits they prob are, as there are sizes ranging from T-8 to T-55. Unless Dodge/Cummins uses a "special" bolt.

Reply to
azwiley1

For lack of a better term, I would call them external Torx.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Are you sure it is the starter? Common problem can be at the cable lug at the starter. The drain hole in the boot get's plugged with crap and corresion set's in. Peel back the insulation at the lug and boot and see if that might be the problem.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

More like say an 8 point socket head?

Reply to
azwiley1

...or 12-point. They've been used in the past, on occaision. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Did you try a sockect on them. It sounds like they are just 12 point bolt heads.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Nope - they're 12-point socket heads... any 12-point socket or wrench will grab them. IIRC, they're 10mm

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I believe that 8-point sockets are for square nuts and bolts.

I have a set of Torx sockets that are for Torx-headed bolts.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I would believe Tom.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

No I am not sure I am positive. The selenoid has gone out and to delay changing it I ran 2 small wiresto it connected to a switch by passing the selenoid and jumping the starter motor directly. Now that is becoming unreliable.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Thanks for the inputs...I have to take a run to Sears, I mean K-Mart... SearMart???

Reply to
GeekBoy