Time to change the starter

I got to change the starter on my 2000 CTD.
Taking a peek underneath on what tools I will be needing, I see unfamilair "bolts" holding the starter in place.
They look like male Torx bits. What are these called so when I go looking for tools to remove them?
Thanks.
GB
GeekBoy wrote:

I would think that if they look like Torx bits they prob are, as there are sizes ranging from T-8 to T-55. Unless Dodge/Cummins uses a "special" bolt.

Ken
NapalmHeart wrote:

More like say an 8 point socket head?
azwiley1 wrote:

Bryan

I believe that 8-point sockets are for square nuts and bolts.
I have a set of Torx sockets that are for Torx-headed bolts.
Ken

Are you sure it is the starter? Common problem can be at the cable lug at the starter. The drain hole in the boot get's plugged with crap and corresion set's in. Peel back the insulation at the lug and boot and see if that might be the problem.
Roy

No I am not sure I am positive. The selenoid has gone out and to delay changing it I ran 2 small wiresto it connected to a switch by passing the selenoid and jumping the starter motor directly. Now that is becoming unreliable.

heads.
beekeep

Nope - they're 12-point socket heads... any 12-point socket or wrench will grab them. IIRC, they're 10mm

Thanks for the inputs...I have to take a run to Sears, I mean K-Mart... SearMart???