Tire sizes for 06' Ram 2500 Diesel

Hello Everyone,
I'm the proud owner of an '06 Ram 2500 Diesel Quad Cab, purchased new.
I got a good deal for a diesel with towing package, but my truck is pretty
well low-end otherwise, with the pressed steel wheels and, to my eye at least, pretty little weenie tires.
Obviously, if I upgrade to larger tires (when these wear out), I'll need larger wheels.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or comments, regarding tire and/or wheel sizes for an '06 Ram 2500 diesel. I don't think I want to install wheel well flares, but maybe I'll have to.
Thanks.
The Rocket Man

What will your primary use for this vehicle be? That will make a HUGE difference on what is recommended..

Seems like it is 2wd, so it should be pretty easy. But more info would be nice. He says it is low end so ya can help him with a sound system.

I have the same thing. My driving needs vary from season to season. I bought a set of big tires from Big O, and a set of steel rims. I put them on the three or four months of winter. The rest of the year, I go with stock tires. The big ones perform better in the snow, but they growl a lot on the highway.
Steve
Thanks to the folks who've already replied.
My truck is a 4x4. I drive in roads 90% of the time, and the rest would be on Forest Service gravel roads (fire roads).
I'll probably be towing a tent trailer from time-to-time, and am adept at putting on tire chains. (I've put the chains on in front on my old 4x4 Toyota.)

BFG makes a nice tire that should get it done for you. Now if you are going to load the hell out of the truck, that is a totally different issue.
> I'll probably be towing a tent trailer from time-to-time, and am adept

Where do you live or where are you going that you'd have to chain up with a 4X4?

Well, not knowing how much you want to spend or don't want to spend, I will make my recommendations off what I have had good experiences with. Dayton Timberline AT, Bridgestone Dueler AT (or the Revo) are both great tires (in my experience) for a dual purpose tire. I have also used the Timberline MT's and they were great, though a little noisier then some might like in a daily on road ride. I would definately stay away from Goodyears!
I agree with Roy concerning the loading of the truck, as the tires he and I mentioned are load range D.

The road to my cabin. In the winter, it's 2.1 miles to the gate over icy snowy twisty asphalt with SERIOUS drops along the shoulder. Some hundreds feet. Most of it ice or snow. Several cars and trucks go over every winter but the trees catch 90% before they go too far. The others ............ From the gate, it's about a half a mile through twisty bulldozed road, and two steep inclines.
I have made it from the gate to the cabin in a Pathfinder chained up. I was hoping to try it this past winter with the big tires on the new 2500 Quad Cab and see if it could do it, then put on the chains if I had to, but am having heart problems and didn't want to go that far out. Once you get in so deep you realize you need chains, it's a serious effort to put them on, having to jack the wheels up to do so. One time in the Pathfinder, the snow was so deep I was getting high centered and walked the rest of the way in. Maybe next year. We had big snows this year. And once I start staying up there more of the winter, I'll be doing some plowing with the Arctic Cat before the snow can drift high enough to be a factor.
Ahhhh. Country living.
Steve
The excellent 2006 Dodge CTD is a very heavy truck, probably 7000 lbs dry. It is a truck. It will handle a bit differently than a pathfinder in the snow and mud. The limited slip rear is OK but not really the best for off road type 4 wheeling.
The largest tire you can put on it without rubbing is the 315 on Hummer H2 OEM wheels. Hummer H2 buyers often ditch their OEM wheels for more bling and they are the perfect size for the CTD, relatively cheap, durable, and usually come shod with the excellent 315 BFG ATs. These tires have penty of off road grip and decent highway manners, There wuld be little room for chains in the front. Air them up with 60 lbs and they tow very well too. Check local Hummer dealers, ebay, or Craig's list.
If you go this route, a simple mod to the center hole needs to be made and I can direct you to instructions.
Again the CTD is heavy, big, and will handle differently. It will want to go where it %^$ well pleases, There a lot of momentum there to redirect. In snow the long soft rear springs have a tendency to wrap and bounce the rear. The only solution for this that works well are traction bars.
I don't want to discourage you, just a few tips to help keep you out of trouble.
Many CTD owners hang out in the forums over at http://www.dieseltruckresource.com /
You can search the threads there for tires and get more info than you can read through in a month.

[...]
Thanks, everyone.
I live near Seattle, and often in the winter, you need chains in the snow.
I like the http://www.dieseltruckresource.com website, too.
snipped-for-privacy@winot.nospamnet (BoomTown) wrote in wrote:

Would you please post it for us or send it my email account? Thanks. John

Sorry I've been out playing in the snow. I'll get the links together and post them tomorrow.
Would you please post it for us or send it my email account? Thanks. John

Thanks!

Here are a couple links:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showpost.php?p 10603&postcount
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?p 90310#post1390310
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?p 33010#post1233010
Thanks!

Thank you. John

inside the door jamb on the drivers side is a decal that tells you the recommended tire size for your vechicle. my advice is to put exactly what the manufacturer says to use. save your money on aftermarket wheels and use it toward a set of 10 ply michelin radials like what u.p.s. runs on all of their brown trucks. the 10 ply michelins will last almost forever, tote as heavy of a load as you can pile on a pickup and make traction as well as anything on the market. michael