torque splitter?

wondering who offers what in regards to a torque splitter for my '05 cummins powered dodge? it would work out well if i could use stock gearing most of the time, and a torque splitter when towing heavy. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

What are you calling a torque sitter? Do you mean a Gear Vendors unit?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Nate:

US Gear makes auxilliary transmisions that might be helpful. There are popular amongst RV'ers that tow heavy. I don't know the URL but a Google search should reveal their website. They might have a solution to your problems.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Tom R

.boB

If you research them you will find that not only are they pricey but they also use hyd clutchs for OD and underdrive and since there is no external pump on them that means that you are going to have to be turning some drive shaft RPM's to run the pump in it to shift it which means under drive will not be avaible for startout so this is not good. Also they recommand 5000 mile oil change intervals which means it is not a install and forget unit.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You're talking about the GearVendors, NOT the US Gear unit referenced in the post you replied to.

Reply to
BigIronRam

US Gear does not list a underdrive option. Given today vehicles that all have OD and generally taller axle ratios, they should offer a underdrive option rather than OD only. I question the value of a aux OD unit for towing gear splitter plus it would tend to increase strain on main tranny on hard pulls rather than decrease it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Once again (I know, I'm shocked, too), you are incorrect:

Tom Lawrence

Does it ever end??????????????????

Reply to
Roy

Read their web site. US Gear is a OD, US gear vendors is a over/under hyd unit

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

No sadly it appears you will never grow up.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

funny from Tom's link i was able to find a Gear ratio chart for the VERY unit you say isnt an underdrive

get your shit straight.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Are you blind, stupid, or a combination of both? On the very link I gave you (I'll repeat it in case you missed it the first time)

What's the second bullet in the gray box in the middle? "Available as Underdrive or Overdrive"

From their first paragraph on that same page:

"It is for this reason that US Gear offers TWO DIFFERENT AUXILIARY TRANSMISSIONS; AN UNDERDRIVE UNIT OR AN OVERDRIVE UNIT, MADE IN AMERICA"

Now... do you want to keep telling me how I'm wrong, and US Gear only makes an overdrive unit?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I've got a GearVendors, my second one. You are incorrect, GearVendors only CALL it under drive. You have to think of second over as third under to justify that terminology. I can't quite wrap my mind around that terminology. Without a first under drive...well...I can't get there from here. The US Gear IS a true underdrive unit and could be a help to Nate if he decides to go that way.

Reply to
BigIronRam

oh oh, you have made him dissappear again!

Reply to
theguy

It would seem that whether or not I grow up or not has nothing to do with your endless stream of mind numbing bs

Reply to
Roy

Or he could buy a real truck like a Kenworth or Peterbuilt.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

In all seriousness, an FL50 would make a nice hauler for that 5th wheel. The only problem is, that's ALL it's good for - whereas the pickup can serve double/triple-duty as a hauler, a work truck, and a people mover.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

That's why I suggested US Gear... but as usual, Snoman knows more than the folks who do this for a living....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons