torque splitter?

Page 1 of 2
wondering who offers what in regards to a torque splitter for my '05 cummins powered dodge? it would work out well if i could use stock gearing most of
the time, and a torque splitter when towing heavy. thanks,
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

cummins
of
What are you calling a torque sitter? Do you mean a Gear Vendors unit? www.gearvendors.com
Al

Nate:
US Gear makes auxilliary transmisions that might be helpful. There are popular amongst RV'ers that tow heavy. I don't know the URL but a Google search should reveal their website. They might have a solution to your problems.
Mike

http://www.usgear.cc/dual_range.htm

If you research them you will find that not only are they pricey but they also use hyd clutchs for OD and underdrive and since there is no external pump on them that means that you are going to have to be turning some drive shaft RPM's to run the pump in it to shift it which means under drive will not be avaible for startout so this is not good. Also they recommand 5000 mile oil change intervals which means it is not a install and forget unit. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

You're talking about the GearVendors, NOT the US Gear unit referenced in the post you replied to.

US Gear does not list a underdrive option. Given today vehicles that all have OD and generally taller axle ratios, they should offer a underdrive option rather than OD only. I question the value of a aux OD unit for towing gear splitter plus it would tend to increase strain on main tranny on hard pulls rather than decrease it. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

<sigh>
Once again (I know, I'm shocked, too), you are incorrect:
http://www.usgear.cc/dual_range.htm

Does it ever end??????????????????

No sadly it appears you will never grow up. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

It would seem that whether or not I grow up or not has nothing to do with your endless stream of mind numbing bs
On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:48:04 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"
Read their web site. US Gear is a OD, US gear vendors is a over/under hyd unit ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:47:10 +0000, SnoMan wrote:

funny from Tom's link i was able to find a Gear ratio chart for the VERY unit you say isnt an underdrive
http://www.usgear.cc/dr_ratio.htm
get your shit straight.
Chris
05 CTD

Are you blind, stupid, or a combination of both? On the very link I gave you (I'll repeat it in case you missed it the first time)
http://www.usgear.cc/dual_range.htm
What's the second bullet in the gray box in the middle? "Available as Underdrive or Overdrive"
From their first paragraph on that same page:
"It is for this reason that US Gear offers TWO DIFFERENT AUXILIARY TRANSMISSIONS; AN UNDERDRIVE UNIT OR AN OVERDRIVE UNIT, MADE IN AMERICA"
Now... do you want to keep telling me how I'm wrong, and US Gear only makes an overdrive unit?
On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:07:33 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

oh oh, you have made him dissappear again!

I bet snopuddle's lap buddy is just around the corner though.
FMB (North Mexico)

I've got a GearVendors, my second one. You are incorrect, GearVendors only CALL it under drive. You have to think of second over as third under to justify that terminology. I can't quite wrap my mind around that terminology. Without a first under drive...well...I can't get there from here. The US Gear IS a true underdrive unit and could be a help to Nate if he decides to go that way.

That's why I suggested US Gear... but as usual, Snoman knows more than the folks who do this for a living....
<sigh>
Mike

Or he could buy a real truck like a Kenworth or Peterbuilt.
beekeep

In all seriousness, an FL50 would make a nice hauler for that 5th wheel. The only problem is, that's ALL it's good for - whereas the pickup can serve double/triple-duty as a hauler, a work truck, and a people mover.