Towing but spare is a pain...

The spare for my durango is (Of course) underneath the vehicle and I was looking at installing a tow hotch would would obviously block access to it.
So, would a "Swing arm" type of holder be a good idea?
Can't put it on the hatch, as the wiper motor is there and it would increase weight to the point of not being able to get the hatch to stay open.
Can't install on the right side as that's the gas take fill side.
Don't want it inside, cause the dogs are sitting there..:) And the equipment also.
So, if the "Swing arm" is a good way, is the a online shop selling this, or do I need a custom shop and what should I look for if I go with the latter?
Most hitches go around the spare....... I never had a problem.

Gene wrote:

The hitch should go around the spare. It does in my truck.
A swing out spare is a pain in the neck; you have to mess with it every time you open the hatch. But if you want one, have one custom made. What you want is a gate style spare carrier that put all the weight on the bumper, and not on the body.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Amen to that. My 92 Dodge W250 had that problem. Bought and tried every hitch I could, and none fit. So I took it to a guy that makes hitches and paid $135 for a real hitch. Almost all hitches for my Dodge are really Ford hitches. They just happen to fit a Dodge if you want to relocate the spare.
Al
I don't know if it will work, but the old Ford Bronco II's had a swing away spare on back. Maybe with a little work it will fit. My caravan hitch I installed went around the spare. I bought it online and installed it myself in about 30 minutes. Check this out: http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partnou292&vehicleidc38&year fr om 05&h=e
Cecil

made.
the