Towing Capacity-Dakota

I'm confused by the owners manual charts for towing capacity.

What is the towing capacity of a Dakota club cab ('98) 2 wheel drive with 3.9L V6 and 3.55 rear end when a class III hitch is installed. Anyone know?

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

hmm.. I tried Trailer Life's site but they only go back to 2000 models..

My guess would be in the low or mid 4,000# range...

Our 01 Dakota CC with 4.7 V-8, auto and 3:55 gears has a max tow weight of

5,200# Goes up to 6,400 with the 4:11 gears, which IMHO is a joke..

Mac

mac davis

Thanks for the site info. Acutally goes back to 1999. Both the '99 and 2000 rate a 3.9L CC with auto/od and a 3:55 rear end for 4800lbs. I don't think there were any frame or mechanical changes from 98 to 99 so I'm thinking mine is the same. I need to tow a 4200 lb. package so I think I'm ok.

Notice you're a turner. Nice work. I don't turn but I'm a woodworker. I know about you turners. If you mess up, it's art. :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Here is the Trailer Life article for the 1998 model year that you might find interesting:

Mark "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"

Reply to
Mark Filice

..

Well why both are off a bit 4000 lbs with a 3.9 and a 3.55 axle would be a bigger joke than 6.4K lbs with a 4.7 and a 4.10

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Be prepared rro a very slow go of it and if hills are involved it will realy be slow at times. Do install a aux tranny cooler or if it is a one time deal do it when it is cool outside and do not use A/C while towing to maxi,ize engie and tranny cooling with load.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

The class III hitch limits him to 500 tongue and 5,000 draw.

Reply to
Nosey

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 02:27:24 -0400, "Nosey"

It has bigger problems than a Class 3 hitch because just putting a class 4 hitch on something does not make it so if vehicle is not up to it.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Glad it helped! I discovered Trailer Life when we were shopping for our travel trailer and all the trailer places said that the Dak would tow "over 6,000 pounds"..... If you allow a 10 or 15% safety factor, you're right up there... keep in mind that the max towing weight includes anything in the trailer and usually the driver, passenger, etc..

yep.. much easier than flat work, Frank... No square cuts, fancy joints, accurate miters or any of that stuff that gets so frustrating... If you don't turn exactly what you planned, you just buff it up a little more and it still looks good... *g*

Mac

mac davis

IMO it's the size of the truck and the suspension... a ram with some length and weight to it would be ok maybe, but just putting lower gears in a truck doesn't do a thing to the size, weight, wheel base, etc.. In our case, a Dak pulling a 30 foot trailer would have been the tail wagging the dog.. Mac

mac davis

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out that the hitch the OP currently has installed limits his towing capacity to less than 6.4K regardless of what engine or gears he has. I didn't mean to imply he needs a bigger hitch. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Reply to
Nosey

i have to agree..ive towed with short wheel base and long wheel base trucks there is no comparison IMHO.

not to mention the diff between towing with a compact vs. full sized.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson