towing trailer with truck camper

mileage concerns?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Wow... impressive-looking. Did ya find a scale? :)

I don't think your mileage will be too bad... certainly not the 6-9 you were registering. The additional 4200# from the trailer/cargo shouldn't matter much - the biggest penalty when pulling an enclosed trailer is the extra aero drag... something that's already negated by that big thing sticking out of the bed! :) (But if you do see a big mileage penalty, check out the wheel bearings on the trailer... wouldn't be the first time someone lost a bunch of fuel economy due to an over-tight wheel bearing)

I'm gonna guess 11-13... more if ya back off from that 80MPH pace. What's the hurry... the trails aren't going anywhere :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Also, glad to see you went with an 8' camper... no extra-long hitch extensions to further complicate things.

Still planning on trading in for an F-550, or are you going to see how this works out?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

that was exactly why i went with the 8' 6" lance. they market it directly towards those who pull heavy trailers.

after talking with literally dozens of RVers im going to give this a shot and see how it does. im really pleased with this truck, and hope to keep it around for awhile.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

argh.....this message didnt come through on the qwest news server, ill respond through google. sucks having to check two sources to get responses.

Tom Lawrence wrote:

many thanks. ill weigh it in once im fully loaded, this was just a "maiden voyage" to see how well it pulled.

thats what i was thinking too. i guess i need to just get it out on the highway and take a trip to find out what its gonna do for sure. thanks,

Reply to
montanajeeper

One of the advantages that you oil burners have is to be able to carry extra fuel, Nate...

My buddy always brings four 5 gallon cans of diesel along "just in case". That's something that would be way too chancy for us to do in our gas burner.. Mac

mac davis