Toyota Tundra see-saw ad

Page 2 of 2

and chew a hole in the seat experiance of a tractor's rear axles kicking out to side pulling 80,000 lbs gross , or the trailer kick to one side or the rear tractor axle kick out to one side when braking, dont yak at me on this. The damn things flat suck for traction. Thank god they dont use steel grating very often for bridge surfaces any more. and before experiancing that joy, I used ramps of that construction to unlaod trailers and trucks in the service at areas that didnt have loading docks. Even with a 4k or 6k lb forklift you had to be damn careful becuase if you hit the brakes to hard coming down, the tires would lock up and slide. Lift operators learned real fast better too slow everytime than one time too fast.
Whitelightning
From a strictly personal perspective, the steel gratings that I have had the "pleasure" of driving on differed greatly depending on age. The new ones had traction galore, those that had been in service for some time and driven on regularly were very slick. It has much to do with how many tires have driven over them and smoothed off the edges of the steel. It also varies greatly depending on the relative hardness of the tire compound, a soft tire on a new grate will have very good traction, to the point that it will try to shred a tire, older grates with hard compound tires will slide at an alarming rate.
YMMV
George

Same here. I'll bet cleanliness counts too. Some have a nice oil & grease coating if traffic sits still on them.
I've ridden bicycles over lots of them and seen a wide variety of traction. Think a slippery grate is scary in a truck? Try the slippery, slightly downsloped examples on a 25 MPH bicycle with a car 20-30 feet behind.
On the bike, I can even see a huge difference were the tires usually travel and where they don't.
Dido for us motorcycle riders!