Toyota Tundra see-saw ad

From a strictly personal perspective, the steel gratings that I have had the "pleasure" of driving on differed greatly depending on age. The new ones had traction galore, those that had been in service for some time and driven on regularly were very slick. It has much to do with how many tires have driven over them and smoothed off the edges of the steel. It also varies greatly depending on the relative hardness of the tire compound, a soft tire on a new grate will have very good traction, to the point that it will try to shred a tire, older grates with hard compound tires will slide at an alarming rate.

YMMV

George

Reply to
George

I found it.

Beryl

Same here. I'll bet cleanliness counts too. Some have a nice oil & grease coating if traffic sits still on them.

I've ridden bicycles over lots of them and seen a wide variety of traction. Think a slippery grate is scary in a truck? Try the slippery, slightly downsloped examples on a 25 MPH bicycle with a car

20-30 feet behind.

On the bike, I can even see a huge difference were the tires usually travel and where they don't.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Reply to
jp2express