Trading Up - Maybe

Thinking of trading in my '99 Dakota Sport (V6) for a new '05 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x2 Hemi (Sport appearance group/look). Saw some last night at the dealer and with the employee discount and other discounts the
hole in the pocket would be about $22k.
Any pitfalls or drawbacks on the new RAMs - especially the Hemi engine?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Ray Austin, TX ======
GAS

So many say that about the Hemi but I find the opposite. I also have a 2001 Ram 1500 QC with the 5.9L. The Hemi flat outperforms it with ease and I get better mpg. Now when I load it down such as towing the Hemi's mpg drops to 8-10 but it does perform well.
Andy wrote:

You're right, the hemi will probably do a little better than that 3.9 V-6 (as long as you don't take full advantage of the extra acceleration capability).
John
Andy wrote:

Just traded my 02 4.7L 4x4 Dakota in on a 05 Ram QC 4x4 Hemi with 20" wheels. Love the go power and the big beast will stop on a dime and give you back a nickel. Gas Mileage so far is 11.8 with 800 miles on the clock, and no interstate just two lane highway and city. Be ready to fight on the trade in price for your truck. It took me two days of fighting just to get Kelly Blue Book trade in out of the dealer.

Dealers won't give the KBB trade in value. They give the current wholesale auction value. Why would they give more than what they can get the same vehicle at auction? My guess is it appeared they gave you KBB by cutting into their profit on the new vehicle. They're making a ton of money on this employee pricing thing. I bought my 2004 last summer and paid about $1500 less than the current employee price.
Jay wrote:

You did better than me. I figure I saved about $1000 less than employee discount on my 05 last Feb.
Roy
My guess is that they made money on my trade. I seen my old truck in town today, and looking at the paper tags it was only on the lot 3 days.

Definitely the fuel economy. My son's friend just got a new 05 Ram 1500 QC Hemi. Bright fire engine red and 20" wheels, leather interior. Sharp looking truck. Around town he claims he gets between 10 and 12 mpg depending on how he drives. He's only 21 so you know it's mostly around 10. :)

It will improve as the engine breaks in. I have a 2004 Hemi Durango 4x4 and get about 16 around town, 19 or so highway.
The 20" wheels make little sense to me. It's a truck and a 4x4. That might hurt the city mpg if the overall tire diameter is larger.
snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:

What ever happened to the "multi-displacement" option that was going to be available on the Hemis? It was supposed to disable 2 or 4 cylinders when running at a stable cruise, then cut all the cylinders back in when power was needed. Talk was something like 30 mpg during the "small displacement" phase.
I've heard nothing more about it. Did it go the way of the older Cadillac attempt?
SMH
Stephen Harding wrote:

Only used in the cars.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

But we should be seeing it in the next year on the trucks, according to the gurus in Auburn Hills anyway.
Denny

Yup! Will be available in the DR 1500 series.
Mike

Starting with the 06 hemi's all will be multi-displacement.