tranny service advice

Page 1 of 5
Hello... Couple questions for the transmission guru's around here. First off, My truck is a 2000 Ram CTD QuadCab Shortbed 3.55 gears all stock 61,000 miles. I plan on doing the 60k service which includes transmission
fluid ,filter and adjust bands. The transmission seems fine...upshifts and downshifts great and no shudder or slippage. After talking to a couple shops ,seems like I have 2-3 alternatives to attack the transmission.
1) Drop pan and change filter , reinstall and add fluid.Could also have shop lower valve body to get even more fluid out.
2) Leave pan installed and use a flush machine to circulate new +4 oil into the tranny.
3)A local shop suggested using their flush machine to circulate,clean and refill using ATF+3 and a friction modifier (Lubeguard 63010) The shop owner has a Ram and said thats all he's ever done to his truck and its fine.He even went as far as to say Lubeguard gaurantees my transmission after the product is installed.
My choice so far is number 2....seems like using brand new oil throughout the tranny would be best,even though there is a downside of not changing the screen. My concern with this approach also is the flush machine connections at the cooler. Is there any chance of damage to connections or possibly loosening something that could cause engine coolant to contaminate transmission oil? Next question...do my bands need attention even if it seems to shift fine? Sorry for the long post and also,thanks in advance for taking time for me.

They better use ATF+4 as per the TSB it replaces ATF+3. Do not let a shop talk you into any thing different. I had mine done at the $tealer for $99.00 total.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply

I want to know what happened to all these old transmissions where ATF+3 used to be fine, but now is no good and must be replaced with +4.

I change my own every 20K, at a cost of about $26.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

You don't change ALL of your ATF+4 for $26 unless you get one heck of a good deal on it.

Actually, pretty close, as I have a drain plug on my torque converter (always tighten these securely... a lesson I learned the hard way one time). And I never said I used +4... no need to piss away $$$ when changing every 20K.
Drain plug in a troque converter? Any Chysler Techs out there to confirm this, it smells like a big bull stinky. I have been wrong before.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply

And you are wrong this time. Mopar was for years been the only one to put drain plugs in the TC.
--
Max

Thanks that is why I asked the question a good idea and why not put drain plugs on the tranny pans like Toyota it makes sence.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply

Prior to 1978 most Mopar converters had drain plugs, the plug was eliminated in '78 because the plug occupied the surface where the converter clutch friction material is bonded.

Can you say "aftermarket"??
Roy

What would be my motivation to lie?
Here's a picture. See that "thing" sticking up at about the 1 o'clock position?
http://home.earthlink.net/~tlawrence54/IMG_0341.JPG
When in doubt ask comes to mind.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply

By all means ask... insinuating I'm trying to feed you a line of bullshit, to me, goes beyond simply "asking".
This is the internet, a news group not Goss's Garage, if Pat had said it would have been gospel. No intention in hurting your feelings or insulting your integrity. You should not take it so personal after all would you trust everything someone says especially when they are invisible?
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply

Sadly given some of the idiots that post here he does have a point.
Having said the above, one might be better served to hang out here for a bit before they lable a persons answer as BS.
Roy

Heh heh... nah, no feeling hurt over here... not in the least. But - consider this: I stated that I change my own tranny fluid, and that I do get most all the fluid out, because I have a drain plug on my TC. Now - there's only two choices here... either it's the truth, or I'm purposely lieing. It would be different if I had said something like "the 3-4 upshift is controlled by hydraulic pressure in the valve body"... there is the possibility in that instance that I'm not lieing, I just don't know what I'm talking about (something that occurs with some frequency here in this NG, and sometimes it's not even me :)
If you had said, "my truck is blue", and I replied, "bullshit - got proof?", you might look at that a bit cross-eyed, too.
Like I said, in the end, no harm done here. You now see that I do indeed have a drain plug, and we've also established that you pay a heck of a lot more than I do for a transmission fluid change :)
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:26:06 -0400, "Coasty"

I have drained many TCs and installed my OWN drain plug over the years. Just drill and tap - install plug with sealer. Usually 1/8 tapered pipe.

How do you keep the metal shavings out of the torque converter? I think it would be more of a risk than a convenience.
Grease on the drill bit.
--
Max