tranny service advice

Hello... Couple questions for the transmission guru's around here. First off, My truck is a 2000 Ram CTD QuadCab Shortbed 3.55 gears all stock

61,000 miles. I plan on doing the 60k service which includes transmission fluid ,filter and adjust bands. The transmission seems fine...upshifts and downshifts great and no shudder or slippage. After talking to a couple shops ,seems like I have 2-3 alternatives to attack the transmission.

1) Drop pan and change filter , reinstall and add fluid.Could also have shop lower valve body to get even more fluid out.

2) Leave pan installed and use a flush machine to circulate new +4 oil into the tranny.

3)A local shop suggested using their flush machine to circulate,clean and refill using ATF+3 and a friction modifier (Lubeguard 63010) The shop owner has a Ram and said thats all he's ever done to his truck and its fine.He even went as far as to say Lubeguard gaurantees my transmission after the product is installed.

My choice so far is number 2....seems like using brand new oil throughout the tranny would be best,even though there is a downside of not changing the screen. My concern with this approach also is the flush machine connections at the cooler. Is there any chance of damage to connections or possibly loosening something that could cause engine coolant to contaminate transmission oil? Next question...do my bands need attention even if it seems to shift fine? Sorry for the long post and also,thanks in advance for taking time for me.

Reply to
jim schultz

They better use ATF+4 as per the TSB it replaces ATF+3. Do not let a shop talk you into any thing different. I had mine done at the $tealer for $99.00 total.

Reply to
Coasty

When was the last time fluid was changed? I hope by 60K you'd had it done at least once. I change mine every 15K because I tow and live in the desert. If your manual states ATF+4 then do not use ATF+3 with a modifier. No need to drop the pan and change the filter every time if fluid is changed frequently. I have the pan dropped every other time (30K).

jim schultz wrote:

Reply to
miles

Reply to
jim schultz

Yes, I've had it flushed by the dealership with ATF+4. I have a 2001 Ram 5.9L. I also changed the pan to an aftermarket slight deeper one with a drain plug and temp sensor hole. If I tow long distance on a hot day I'll quickly drain the pan and at least get 5 quarts or so replaced. Easy to do with the drain plug.

Reply to
miles

I want to know what happened to all these old transmissions where ATF+3 used to be fine, but now is no good and must be replaced with +4.

I change my own every 20K, at a cost of about $26.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You don't change ALL of your ATF+4 for $26 unless you get one heck of a good deal on it.

Reply to
miles

Actually, pretty close, as I have a drain plug on my torque converter (always tighten these securely... a lesson I learned the hard way one time). And I never said I used +4... no need to piss away $$$ when changing every 20K.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Were they? or is this another product that Chrysler is making you buy. Personally, you can do what you want it is your vehicle and I have found it prudent to follow manufacturers instructions. There is a reason for manufacturer instructions but some people just fail to understand or want to understand.

Reply to
Coasty

Drain plug in a troque converter? Any Chysler Techs out there to confirm this, it smells like a big bull stinky. I have been wrong before.

Reply to
Coasty

Drain plug in a troque converter? Any Chysler Techs out there to confirm this, it smells like a big bull stinky. I have been wrong before.

Reply to
Coasty

And you are wrong this time. Mopar was for years been the only one to put drain plugs in the TC.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Prior to 1978 most Mopar converters had drain plugs, the plug was eliminated in '78 because the plug occupied the surface where the converter clutch friction material is bonded.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Can you say "aftermarket"??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

What would be my motivation to lie?

Here's a picture. See that "thing" sticking up at about the 1 o'clock position?

Tom Lawrence

Thanks that is why I asked the question a good idea and why not put drain plugs on the tranny pans like Toyota it makes sence.

Reply to
Coasty

When in doubt ask comes to mind.

Reply to
Coasty

By all means ask... insinuating I'm trying to feed you a line of bullshit, to me, goes beyond simply "asking".

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

This is the internet, a news group not Goss's Garage, if Pat had said it would have been gospel. No intention in hurting your feelings or insulting your integrity. You should not take it so personal after all would you trust everything someone says especially when they are invisible?

Reply to
Coasty