tranny service advice

Sadly given some of the idiots that post here he does have a point.

Having said the above, one might be better served to hang out here for a bit before they lable a persons answer as BS.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Heh heh... nah, no feeling hurt over here... not in the least. But - consider this: I stated that I change my own tranny fluid, and that I do get most all the fluid out, because I have a drain plug on my TC. Now - there's only two choices here... either it's the truth, or I'm purposely lieing. It would be different if I had said something like "the 3-4 upshift is controlled by hydraulic pressure in the valve body"... there is the possibility in that instance that I'm not lieing, I just don't know what I'm talking about (something that occurs with some frequency here in this NG, and sometimes it's not even me :)

If you had said, "my truck is blue", and I replied, "bullshit - got proof?", you might look at that a bit cross-eyed, too.

Like I said, in the end, no harm done here. You now see that I do indeed have a drain plug, and we've also established that you pay a heck of a lot more than I do for a transmission fluid change :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Own a 99 Quad CTD 2WD with around 75K and do a fair amount of towing 8K 5er.

Try to change mine every 15K as suggested by the shop manual for heavy use.

Have had both ATF3 and ATF4 put in by DC service techs at different dealerships in different parts of the country.

Obviously two trains of thought going on here. What is the difference between the two types??...is one synthetic?? .

Also...thanks for the tips Tom.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Well, found out dad was slack and never had the tranny serviced.Sounds like I should drop the pan AND have it flushed out,then refilled with ATF+4. He's

Reply to
jim schultz

Actually the TSP does not say ATF+4 replaces ATF+3. What it does say is ATF+4 is to be used in all vehicles from the manufacture with ATF+4 already put in and it is "Recommended" that vehicles with ATF+3 be changed to ATF+4. The present TSP superseded one from a few years ago that stated that vehicles that came from the factory with ATF+3 may continue to use ATF+3. SO that word "Recommended" is not a order to the service tech to make the change against the customers wish. My truck is a 99 and all it has ever known is ATF+3.

However all this is mute as Chrysler announced last month "In response to marketplace demands and evolving vehicle technology, Chrysler Group has established a licensing program for its advanced synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, ATF+4(R). This program will allow ATF+4 to be made available at retail outlets and through independent repair facilities for Chrysler, Jeep(R) and Dodge vehicle automatic transmissions, beginning September 1, 2005." They go on to say "ATF+4 is approved for use in older transmissions and will be utilized in all future Chrysler Group vehicles. The previous MOPAR ATF+3 formulation will be discontinued". So eventually ATF+4 is all there is going to be available.

Reply to
Jerry

None of the above. For over 25 years I have been changing the filter and topping off the fluid and I have a tranny in one old 4x4 that still works like new and it pushed snow for years too. It is best not to disturb valve body and there is pros and cons to flushing too. The only time I suggest a flush is when tranny have been cooked some and the fluid is discolored or burnt. If you want long tranny life, install a aux tranny cooler if your truck does not already have one.

Reply to
SnoMan

I have not seen a plug in the torque converter on a Detriot vehicle for many years. They disappeared sometime in the 70?s.

Reply to
SnoMan

I have drained many TCs and installed my OWN drain plug over the years. Just drill and tap - install plug with sealer. Usually 1/8 tapered pipe.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

When you have a tranny rebuild by one of the "well known" rebuilders, they install a converter that has a drain plug. My 1996 2500 diesel was rebuilt by Pro-lock out Ft. Walton beach Fl. It had a converter drain plug.

Reply to
Termite

How do you keep the metal shavings out of the torque converter? I think it would be more of a risk than a convenience.

Reply to
Nosey

You mean you can PAY someone to do all that work for you? Dang... I coulda saved a few busted knuckles :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'm in NW Washington, about 85 miles NW of Seattle.

Can anyone recommend a good rebuilder for the tranny in a '96 Ram 1500 with 5.9 Magnum?

TIA

Rick

Reply to
Yofuri

Grease on the drill bit.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Case closed... I took the truck to San Diego Dodge today and had the transmission pan dropped, filter changed and bands adjusted. Then he hooked it up to a tranny machine ,flushed it and recirculated in new fluid. Grand Total- $ 265.00 Ouch.... I thought this was the best thing to do since it had never seen a service. I feel better about my upcoming trips to northern Ca and Wa state. Thank for the tips +advice.

Reply to
jim schultz

I'm in south Everett. I recommend Pat Blais (206-365-1966). He's been rebuilding Torqueflites (exclusively) for 30+ years, out of his home in Monroe. If Pat can't help you, I'm sure he can recommend someone up your way.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Jerry wrote: However all this is mute as Chrysler announced last month "In response ...

Not to nitpick, but the term is moot.

Reply to
Dave Lee

One of those senior citizen brain farts I guess.... :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

That is because your dad is from a time when things were built to last, unlike the junk that we have to deal with and accept as normal today.

Reply to
TBone

Some things were built better way back when but far from all. Back then

100K on a car was considered high mileage and about time for an engine rebuild. Today thats just getting broken in.
Reply to
miles

lol, no, it is very common. My mother is 81 and catches my errors all the time, yet can't remember what she had for breakfast.

Reply to
Dave Lee