tranny service advice

Page 2 of 5
Max Dodge wrote:

I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm still skeptical about drilling on a torque converter but I'll try it when I install my pyrometer.
Drain plug in a troque converter? Any Chysler Techs out there to confirm this, it smells like a big bull stinky. I have been wrong before.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
"Coasty" wrote:

I have not seen a plug in the torque converter on a Detriot vehicle for many years. They disappeared sometime in the 70s.
When you have a tranny rebuild by one of the "well known" rebuilders, they install a converter that has a drain plug. My 1996 2500 diesel was rebuilt by Pro-lock out Ft. Walton beach Fl. It had a converter drain plug.

You mean you can PAY someone to do all that work for you? Dang... I coulda saved a few busted knuckles :)
Tom Lawrence wrote:

I'm in NW Washington, about 85 miles NW of Seattle.
Can anyone recommend a good rebuilder for the tranny in a '96 Ram 1500 with 5.9 Magnum?
TIA
Rick

I'm in south Everett. I recommend Pat Blais (206-365-1966). He's been rebuilding Torqueflites (exclusively) for 30+ years, out of his home in Monroe. If Pat can't help you, I'm sure he can recommend someone up your way.
Bryan
Were they? or is this another product that Chrysler is making you buy. Personally, you can do what you want it is your vehicle and I have found it prudent to follow manufacturers instructions. There is a reason for manufacturer instructions but some people just fail to understand or want to understand.
--
Coasty

Remove the SPOOGE to reply
Coasty wrote:

Actually the TSP does not say ATF+4 replaces ATF+3. What it does say is ATF+4 is to be used in all vehicles from the manufacture with ATF+4 already put in and it is "Recommended" that vehicles with ATF+3 be changed to ATF+4. The present TSP superseded one from a few years ago that stated that vehicles that came from the factory with ATF+3 may continue to use ATF+3. SO that word "Recommended" is not a order to the service tech to make the change against the customers wish. My truck is a 99 and all it has ever known is ATF+3.
However all this is mute as Chrysler announced last month "In response to marketplace demands and evolving vehicle technology, Chrysler Group has established a licensing program for its advanced synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid, ATF+4(R). This program will allow ATF+4 to be made available at retail outlets and through independent repair facilities for Chrysler, Jeep(R) and Dodge vehicle automatic transmissions, beginning September 1, 2005." They go on to say "ATF+4 is approved for use in older transmissions and will be utilized in all future Chrysler Group vehicles. The previous MOPAR ATF+3 formulation will be discontinued". So eventually ATF+4 is all there is going to be available.
Jerry wrote: However all this is mute as Chrysler announced last month "In response ...
Not to nitpick, but the term is moot.
Dave Lee wrote:

One of those senior citizen brain farts I guess.... :)
Jerry
lol, no, it is very common. My mother is 81 and catches my errors all the time, yet can't remember what she had for breakfast.

When was the last time fluid was changed? I hope by 60K you'd had it done at least once. I change mine every 15K because I tow and live in the desert. If your manual states ATF+4 then do not use ATF+3 with a modifier. No need to drop the pan and change the filter every time if fluid is changed frequently. I have the pan dropped every other time (30K).
jim schultz wrote:

I bought the truck used from my dad who had it since new.All of the reccomended service mileage points in the manual are filled out, so I think he had it done several times.A phone call could confirm that. When you change yours and don't drop the pan,do you use the flush type system?(guess thats the only way)

jim schultz wrote:

Yes, I've had it flushed by the dealership with ATF+4. I have a 2001 Ram 5.9L. I also changed the pan to an aftermarket slight deeper one with a drain plug and temp sensor hole. If I tow long distance on a hot day I'll quickly drain the pan and at least get 5 quarts or so replaced. Easy to do with the drain plug.
Own a 99 Quad CTD 2WD with around 75K and do a fair amount of towing 8K 5er.
Try to change mine every 15K as suggested by the shop manual for heavy use.
Have had both ATF3 and ATF4 put in by DC service techs at different dealerships in different parts of the country.
Obviously two trains of thought going on here. What is the difference between the two types??...is one synthetic?? .
Also...thanks for the tips Tom.
Fred

Well, found out dad was slack and never had the tranny serviced.Sounds like I should drop the pan AND have it flushed out,then refilled with ATF+4. He's 78 years old, so Ill cut him a break. :)

That is because your dad is from a time when things were built to last, unlike the junk that we have to deal with and accept as normal today.

"jim schultz" < snipped-for-privacy@cox.net> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Some things were built better way back when but far from all. Back then 100K on a car was considered high mileage and about time for an engine rebuild. Today thats just getting broken in.

Once again you prove yourself full of shit. The current A500/518/618/42/44/46/47/48R(H/E) are ALL the same design as the A727 and A904 transmissions. Pull apart a 727, and the guts from it will interchange with the guts from the three speed section of a 46 with no differences except the tailshaft. The only other differences in going to the 47/48 are numbers of clutch plates, so the drums have the snap ring groove cut in a different location.
The real difference, which you have claimed to be smart enough to know, is the heat generated by the OD unit. This breaks down the ATF, which is what causes most of the failures associated with the OD transmissions.
You've read that here many times, and its the only point on which you agree with TransSurgeon, yet you couldn't dig it up from your morass of knowledge.
--
Max