tranny service advice

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

How so? We're discussing Dodge trucks, and specifically transmissions. Seems more "signal"-ish to me...

Correct... if you're of the minority (see below) of users that fall into the light-duty Schedule A. Most of us do not.

Well, in my '99 FSM, under schedule B, it calls for fluid changes every 12K miles (so I was wrong before - the now-current 15K interval is actually longer than it was previously)

The average user isn't capable of removing 12 bolts? Damn - the average sure has dropped off...

Well, the current pricing is exactly what I quoted. I'm not interested in what happened 9 years ago... I'm talking about the present. And presently, the tow package has an invoice price of $350.

And if you're not hooking anything to the truck to pull around, the transmission will never need to be cooled beyond the integrated cooler in the radiator.

I'm looking at the schedule that says, "use this if you tow".

Given that you've never done this, I understand your confusion. The filter is encased in a plastic box, with a rubber gasket on the top. Light hand pressure keeps the filter "box" sealed against the valve body via the gasket. With my other hand, I remove the Torx screws. It's really not that difficult... certainly not as complex as, say, removing 12 bolts.

Really? See if any of this applies to you:

Short trips of less than 10 miles Driving in dusty conditions Trailer towing Long periods of engine idling

Stop and go driving Day and night temps are below freezing Off-road operation

If any ONE of those applies, congratulations - you're in the severe-duty service category.

Well, then the authors of the FSM disagree with you. My FSM states, "NOTE: Most vehicles are operated under the conditions listed for Schedule 'B'". You'll understand if I take the word of the Factory Service Manual over your opinion, right?

Nope - you didn't. I brought them up, because their service is virtually identical to that of the transmission - the one you find "absolutely unacceptable". I was using the axle maintenance as an analogy (uh-NAL-uh-jee) to point out the flaw in your claims. Sorry if I confused you.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

And the problem is??

Reply to
miles

Not a thing other than you shouldn't have to.

Reply to
TBone

That would be valid if your argument actually had any real meaning other than opinion bashing.

Yea, you do, you just don't realize it.

But since most people do not really fit into that catagory, it really doesn't matter.

That is not what I said and I hope you know that. The user should not have to remove 12 bolts for a simple fluid change, especially if they are required often.

Even still, far from a huge exaggeration.

Really????? Not according to the FSM service schedule and YOU for that matter.

Yea, but tow how much? Are you saying that there is no difference between a person like Mac that tows a trailer every now and then and a contractor that tows 6 days a week?

Still more work than should be required to change fluid, especially if they know it needs to be done often.

LOL, you forgot the key word that is in front of EVERY one of these conditions in my FSM F R E Q U E N T. Having the occasional short trip, towing a few times a year, getting stuck in traffic every now and then and a few hot or cold days a year is hardly severe-duty and if you think so, then you are not as bright as I thought you were. Going through one or more of these conditions day in and day out like a taxi or a commercial vehicle or someone that lives in extreme weather conditions is a different story than the every now and then like the rest of us.

What year? Mine says no such thing and when you think about it, the words make no sence at all. If MOST vehicles are operated under Schedule B conditions, then schedule B should actually be schedule A since A reflects NORMAL operation and the higher fitting percentage is always considered normal operations.

If you say so but mine says different.

And if the level of service was as demanding as you suggest for normal operations, then I would say that the design of the axles are also unacceptable, hell, even more so since adding a drain plug to the bottom of the housing would be just too easy and inexpensive not to add it if it were needed.

The only one you are confusing dude, is yourself.

Reply to
TBone

Then you haven't been here very long or are not following the threads. Just about every time someone worries about longevity of their automatic transmission, the first words that usually appear in here is to add a cooler followed by daily fluid flushes (sarcasm here).

Are MOST of your trips (highest portion of mileage) of this type AND in sub freezing weather?

No, extensive idling and stop and go are different things all together and again, the key word is MOST. IOW, do you drive a taxi?

This means MOST OR ALL OF THE TIME, not a few times a year and do you?

As in most or all of the time, not a few times per year.

IOW, relate this condition to the conditions above and you will see what severe duty actually means.

Really, which ones and be realistic about it.

Reply to
TBone

Cool, I'll give it shot then. My specs:

2004 Ram 2500, CRD 305/555, 48RE, 4wd. I hope these are the specs your asking for? I suppose I can get serial numbers if that would be better.

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

Nope, that's fine.

For the front band, you'll need a Torx bit (somewhere between a T30 and a T45 - I don't remember exactly). The adjuster is on the driver's side of the case, right around where the front cooler line comes out of the case. Loosen the locknut with an open-end wrench, and back it off several turns (4-5). Now use the Torx bit on your torque wrench, and tighten the adjuster to 72 in.lbs. Next, back the adjuster off 1-3/4 turns. Hold the adjuster in place, and tighten up the lock nut.

For the rear band, you'll need a regular 6-point socket. This adjuster is inside the transmission, and will be accessible with the pan removed. Again, loosen the locknut 4-5 turns with an open-end wrench, then tighten the adjuster to 72 in.lbs. Back off this adjuster 3 full turns, hold it in place, and re-tighten the lock nut.

That's it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

So manufactures should assume that all 1500 Ram truck buyers are going to tow 5,000lbs up 8% mountain grades in 115 degree heat and equip the base model to handle it?

Reply to
miles

Alright - since you seem to think most people fall under the light-duty maintenance schedule, the transmission fluid changes are called for every

100K miles (again - 2003 FSM). Given that, do you still feel that pulling 12 bolts is excessive?

According to you, "most" people shouldn't have to do this for 100K miles... shouldn't be a problem then, right?

2003

You want a scan of the page?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I know... but... but... he can't... I mean... no one could be that... c'mon... not THAT.... well, maybe.... but still... aw, hell....

:)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

If you ordered the towing package, absolutely. In that case, the worst case scenario should be what it equipped with, especially since you are paying extra for it and if not, then it should still come equipped to deal with heavy traffic conditions since in today's world there is a lot more of it and many people are using these trucks as passenger vehicles, just like you.

Reply to
TBone

In this case, since the change would happen probably only ONCE in the lifetime of the vehicle or at least the transmission then no, it is not excessive in that case. Still a PITA, but not excessive.

Not if this is the case but according to you, it is not.

Then like I said, possibly using lower quality parts or possibly trying to cover their asses with their longer warranties.

I have no reason not to believe you but it doesn't say much for their newer vehicles.

Reply to
TBone

But the Allison is designed to make this level of service EASY, unlike Ford and DC and from what I have heard, it is a much stronger trans and therefore can be subjected to much more severe use requiring more frequent changes.

I would suspect that the Allison could follow the DC and Ford specs with no real problems under the same work loads. What really matters is the individual definitions of severity use that the makers are going by.

For someone who tends to be a stickler for words, you really are dropping the ball here. I said take it apart not completely disassemble it and since the pan is a part of the case, you ARE taking it apart to get to the filter.

Yawn.

Which is easy to do if you have never done it before.

And I guess indestructible as well and if by some magic it tears or is damaged while being removed, can you get it at the auto-parts store?

Who cares about the Diff, are we not talking about transmissions and BTW, I have NEVER changed the fluid in a diff (unless I swamped it) and with the exception of the current POS DC 9 1/4 rear, have NEVER had a failure.

Which costs many people even more money since it does take longer to change the filter and fluid when you need to remove the damn pan to do it and time = $$$$$ for service work.

Reply to
TBone

i didnt say short and freezing i just said that it empasised the added importance of this in freezing conditions.

again if you read GM's 96 s series owners manual it clearly states "Most trips include extensive idling (such as frequent driving in stop-and-go traffic)

the parithisis is a direct copy from the owners manual i originally sited in my responce as an example it is not my interpetation of thier intention.

ok you want reality of my driving here ya go bud! i live on a dirt road (dusty condition maybe????) i drive 3.5 miles to work (short trips maybe????) im a regular at the lake as in pullin the boat just about every weekend to the lake....

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Oh come now TBone, peoples needs vary widely. If they made it for the worst case scerio then they'd have to charge more for it. Now everyone has to pay more even if they don't need it. Possibly they could have different levels of tow packages but the market would be too limited for mass production. Thus, they leave that market sector to the aftermarket.

Reply to
miles

"pretty much take the trans apart"... sounds like disassemble to me.

The pan is it's own part - it's bolted TO the case. Is the oil pan part of the block? The cover part of the differential housing?

Pretty easy to do with an engine oil change, too... you live, you learn.

Actually, yes. But, given that it's a steel-core gasket covered in a flexible plastic, the chances of it tearing are pretty slim.

I know - but I bring it up because it's the same procedure.

"With these trucks' abilities to be taken off-road, and therefore be subjected to mud and water, it's patently rediculous that they would design the axles to be so difficult to service. They should have drain plugs, fill plugs, check plugs, and water separators so I don't have to spend 2 minutes removing 12 bolts to change the damn fluid". Sounds pretty rediculous, doesn't it?

I'm willing to bet that the price of a transmission service at the Chevy dealer is going to be pretty much on par (within 5%) of the Dodge dealer. The fact is, any shop is more than equipped to handle this kind of work, and the extra 10 minutes spent removing the pan (which would have to be done anyway, because the bands are to be adjusted when the fluid is changed) and filter isn't going to alter the rate, since it's all billed on the hour anyway.

Shall we now discuss why the Dodge transmissions are junk because they use bands, instead of a more complicated system of holding clutches?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

By heavy traffic, you mean stop-and-go driving, which would fall under Schedule B?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Well, hoo-ray. And now, since you claim that the majority of people fall under the light-duty maintenance schedule, what is it exactly that you're complaining about in the first place?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yea, if it happened every day and made up most of the mileage on the vehicle.

Reply to
TBone