Tranny Shift Point

I've got a '95 Ram 1500 with 5.9L engine and automatic transmission. I just had the tranny replaced with a pulled unit from the junk yard and it's a
great improvement over the original that was on it's way out. The new tranny shifts strong but has a couple of quirks.
1. Upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear is never a problem, but if you don't hit 40 mph, it won't shift into 3rd. Feels a little disconcerting to be in a 30 mph zone, attempting to push it up past 35 mph to make it shift.
2. When slowing to a stop - just prior to coming to a full stop, there's a bit of a low level shudder or vibration as the tranny is attempting to shift back down to 1st gear. The transition can also be seen on the tachometer, which shows a small dip in rpm at the very moment of the shudder.
Anyone with tranny experience have any idea what it is that I'm seeing with this unit? I've got a 30 day warranty on it and it was just dropped in, this last Friday. I don't know how long it's going to last, but the last one gave me 90,000 miles with some slipping in it's last few months. A good cold morning was all it took to finally take the greatest toll on it.
Thanks,
Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
W4ABC wrote:

If fluid levels are normal, don't even worry about what is wrong -- just take it back now! and let them figure out what is wrong
Just out of interest, I've heard that when it is cold, if it shifts properly, but not when warmed up, could be throttle rod needs adjusting -- either way if nothing is wrong with the transmission, I'd bet the problem was with installation, so if they installed it, go check with a tranny garage for a double check -- tell them why and they might give you a cheap cash-only price to check.
rach
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Probably just needs a throttle valve cable adjustment.

The shudder is probably the converter clutch staying engaged at too low a speed, could be a valve body fault or a faulty converter clutch solenoid.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
. . ==================W4ABC wrote:

jest the facts sir.......jest the facts. . You got 90,000 miles on your original transmission, a 10 year old transmission. . That's 9,000 miles a year. . Do you know what that transmission is called the second you pulled it from your truck???????? . Can you say ....U..S..E..D....??? .
well any whooo........ How many miles does that USED tranny you just bought have on it??
and....... What year truck did it come out of???
now.... let's do the math to see how long THAT ONE "should", "might" last for you.
oh..by the way.... i have tranny experience and i think you need to crawl back under there and pull that sucker out and go git yer money back....... cuz .......it's not broke..........but...it's dang sure braking.
i know...i know..... you paid someone to change it out for you....... but....if you pay them AGAIN...why...you could've got yer tranny built for all that.
oh........ i'm sorry......... yer buddy did it for free........
then by all means...... go take advantage of his good nature and ask him to help a feller out of a tight spot. After all......i'm sure he owes you. You've likely spent 4 or 5 hours on yer back under his house replacing his plumbing, only to have to go back under there a couple weeks later and do the whole dang thing all over again.
oh......
you wouldn't git yerself in a perdickamint like that aye? well good fer you.
well anyways, like i said. yer nused tranny is take'n a crap on you....... it's jest a matter of time.
so.... you can start the countdown.
oh yeah......and you got 23 days left on that warranty.
~:~ MarshMonster ~it's broke.....broke baaaaaad~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sounds like the kick-down cable may be out of adjustment. On the side of the throttle body you'll see a cable coming in from the rear of the engine area, this is the kick down cable. There is a button to push on the top of the housing to release the detent so you can pull the cable back a couple of clicks. It doesn't take much-a click will make a big difference.
Denny
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thank you...
Denny, Rachel and John.
I'm going to swing by the mechanic's a ask some questions of him and see where he's looking to go with this.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks again,
Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mike Hunt's Honorable Discharge wrote:

Truth hurts??
No thanks for me??
I gave the same answer to the quiz that Rachel did!!
And..... you thanked the 2 dudes that ARE WRONG.
yeah..yeah..yeah... trust me...wishfull thunk'n ain't gonna make them right.
The trannies going south on you....... and...... the clock is ticking.
you have.......22 days left on yer warranty.
tick..tock.. tick..tock..
any whoooooo........
I'm not suggesting that you should take my advice, however, I very adamantly suggest you take Rachels.
tick...tock... tick..tock...
oh yeah...... and if you want to ignore me....... trust me, I understand. no harm,no foul.
but....... when you do that post within the next 6 months wanting to know why yer tranny is slipping going into 3rd and clunking on the 2/1 downshift......
and my reply is a simple.... tick..tock.... tick...tock...
please..... don't take it as an "I told you so".
~:~ MARSHMONSTER ~tranny tech~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Marsh Monster wrote:

answers. ANyway I did read your post. I learn what I can. I also notice that sometimes another post gets posted ahead of mine (as I see it) so maybe that's why he didn't acknowlege you -- maybe. You are probably right -- which is why I told him to run straight back to the "junk yard" -- hope he had the installation done there. Motors and trannys you buy from wreckers should always be installed there IMHO. My late common-i-law husband Rick managed auto parts for 18 years. I always found a great yard and stuck with them -- still have his boss on my side and giving me deals -- which is good since it was mostly the stress that killed Rick I he doesn't read the post, I am anyway so your advice does not go unnoticed rach
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rachel Easson wrote in message:
Hey Marsh, I was only trying to help.
<<snip>>
rach ========================== You gave him the best advice so far.
~:~ marsh ~:~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi Rachel.
Actually, I posted what I wanted to post - exactly as you read it.
Marsh Monster's psycho babble may well have been fun for him to write, but it's neither helpful to 'me' the reader, or my bad tranny!
I asked a straight question and got some straight answers. Newsgroup anonymity isn't too handsome on some of us, I guess. More so, it exacts a toll - especially when the response that I read has all the possibility of being factually correct, but all the layers of bullshit chip away at the respondent's credibility!
Thanks, again.
Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
. . ==============Mike Hunt's Honorable Discharge wrote: Hi Rachel.
Actually, I posted what I wanted to post - exactly as you read it.
Marsh Monster's psycho babble may well have been fun for him to write, but it's neither helpful to 'me' the reader, or my bad tranny! . I asked a straight question and got some straight answers. Newsgroup anonymity isn't too handsome on some of us, I guess. More so, it exacts a toll - especially when the response that I read has all the possibility of being factually correct, but all the layers of bullshit chip away at the respondent's credibility!
Thanks, again.
Jon Pearl - St. Petersburg ================ It was fun to write thank you very much.
It wasn't helpfull??
Your trannies bad?????
YOU ASKE A STRAIGHT QUESTION?? Lookin for straight answers??
where? where?
I don't see now straight question in the OP!!!!!!!
nowhere!!!!!!! NO...WHERE!!!!!!!!!!
i've read the thread to date 4 times....... and i jest don't see your STRAIGHT QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok....i'll read it again. be right back. . . . . . . ..
. . . .. .
nope......wud'nt there. nowhere. not one straight question. go look fer yerself....i'll wait. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. couldn't find one? no? didn't think so.
however....... i do hope that the IDEAS YOU ASKED FOR........ were acceptable that i gave.
no?
oh well....... at least i gave what YOU DID ASK FOR!!!!!!.........an idea.
want to borrow the program i have running for a dictionary?
oh..... you've got one. ok.
well then...... back to some ON TOPIC "discussion".
I see you admitted in your last reply that your tranny WAS...BAD...
hmmmmm...... be right back..... give me jest a sec would you?....... . . . . . . . . (marsh sips some shroom juice and takes a toke) . . . . . . . (giggles) . . . . . . . . . ok.....i'm back.... i jest wanted to recheck ALL........the ideas that were posted to your request for IDEAS.
guess what i found... go ahead... guess....
yep..
that's right.....
I GAVE THE BEST ADVICE.......
wanna go see fer yerself...??.... i mean..... it is YOUR THREAD...... i'm sure you want to digest all that was given in order to formulate some IDEA of yer own.
go ahead...... i'll wait..... . . . .. (marsh giggles...takes another sip of his shroom juice and another toke) . . . . . . . (bet he ain't gone tooooo long). . . . . well..... what did you find?
go ahead.... admit it in open forum.
who's yer budddy?
who gave you the best IDEAS..??
go ahead...
go on now...
put it down in written form.....
that's a boy. good man. least you can admit when you're wrong. that shows good character.
naw.. naw.... that's ok... no need to apologize.
no harm, no foul.
~~In Closing~~ I would jest like to say, that if you want to know what the problem is for sure....then you should not ask for IDEAS on a subject, instead you might want to ask for a "Professional" accessment of the facts listed in the OP and for all ideas to be limited or omitted. Also, if you're going to ask for IDEAS, you may want to learn to be acceptant of the form in which they are written, because it's been my experience that, at times, some of the "Professionals" that reply to these threads, do so in a form that opens your mind to ALL THE POSSIBILITIES that may be going on during your problem. This form of response to IDEAS often brings forth DISCUSSION that eventually DRAGS OUT the circumstances that led to the OP having to ask for IDEAS to his situation. It also tends to aggrevate the OP enough to "come clean" with all the facts concerning the situation, because often times as not, the OP is reluctant to admit they made poor decisions leading up to the situation at hand.
so..... if you want facts....ask for facts.
if you want yes or no answers.....ask yes or no questions.
if you want the best possible advice you can get out of one of these NGs..then formulat YOUR POST in such a way as to minimize ~Random Thought~ and discussion.
you know.....
what i said in my first reply in this thread.......
THE FACTS SIR.......JEST THE FACTS!
or...
yer liable to start a thread that ends up with a couple of posters git'n their feelings hurt and proving in written form that they're ability to read the written word ......is well.......not that good.
any whooo........
let me close by asking you to go back.... read the first 4 replies to YOUR thread.... digesting the written word in each....
and then.... and only then......
come on back, be a man, and help ole marsh out........ he's feel'n a bit outnumbered here.
respectfully submitted for discussion, ideas, digesting of fact not fiction, or open forum apology.
~:~ MarshMonster ~is full of ideas, and facts~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Marsh Monster wrote:

LOL!
definitely
love it! LOL

yes definitely, any help is useful <grn> kaboom!

ah but some of us admit we are prone to random thought and babble!

but I bet really you have a teflon coat <wink>

rach
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, no thanks for you. Why? You didn't answer his question, you made a snap decision without diagnostics and left him with no options, which was EXACTLY what he asked for.
In short, your advice was worthless, because you assumed you knew more about the problem than you could possibly know unless you stuck your mits directly on the trans.
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
. <<inline>> . . ==================Max Dodge wrote:

{YOU'RE A LIAR.....NOT JEST A LIAR......A DAMNED LIAR!!!} {and.....everyone on the thread at minumum gave "ADVICE"... EXCEPT FOR YOU MAX!!!!!!!.....you come on in to flame}
you made a snap decision without diagnostics and left him with no options,
{HE HAS NO OPTIONS.....DIPTHONG!!! and I NEVER...make snap decisions based on hints, guess's, heresay, what i read in a forum, found in a chilton manual, heard down at the ole AutoZonedOut store, or based on the opinions of populer BELIEF!!!}
which was EXACTLY what he asked for. (opinions)
{again Max....YOU'RE A LIAR!!..not jest a LIAR, but a damned LIAR)

{I gave him the best advice, and YOURS IS YET TO BE SEEN in this thread}
because you assumed you knew more about

{how in theeeeee helllllll........could Y O U......possibly know what i know without knowing what i know}
{oh........and again, you're a LIAR..A DAMNED LIAR!!!}
{i have read the thread to date.......and there's no doubt in my feeble little mind.....that I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE PROBLEM than you or anyone else in this thread knows about it. There's ALWAYS the possibility here in hyperspace that the dude yer flaming knows exactly what he's talking about and is extremely capable of "hitting the nail on the head" based on the facts that are posted. ONLY AN IDIOT....would NOT EVEN SUSPECT that to be a possibility!!! In closing.....I would suggest that in the future you spend as much time digesting and understanding the written word before you take a stance of rebutal toward something that you COULD NOT have seen posted because it was never posted. You seem to be one of those thread readers that are UNABLE TO COMPREHEND the english language as it's written....and who read what they want to see and not what is actually written. You reeeelllllly...oughta go back and read the thread again..and use a dictionary and a BASIC COMPOSITION reference book if that's what is needed for you to UNDERSTAND the english lanquage in written form.}
HEY MAX........ a question for you.... What do you "think" the OP's prob is with the tranny??
hopefully YOU will answer the question......unlike the OP who only wanted IDEAS.....and was unwilling to answer mine so I could give him some more.
~:~ MARSHMONSTER` ~grrrrrrrrr........needs to type slower so cuz it's evident somefolks can't read fast~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I didn't bother replying at first because not only did John Kunkel say exactly what I thought it was, but s odid Denny. No need for me to repeat the solid advice from both these gentlemen.
And what I said was no lie, your reply was bullshit, left the OP with no options and no knowledge of his problem.

He has plenty of options, if he follows good advice rather than the "disposable diaper theory" (if its full of shit, throw it out) you seem to follow, excepting your own advice.

No lie, he asked for options and advice on how to solve the problem.

Your advice sucked, as it meant more down time and mor money spent. Meanwhile, Kunkel and Denny said exactly what I would have, thus there was no need for my reply.
Let me tell ya what I think of your advice..... I generally do not like John Kunkel, and have had many diasagreements with him. However, I'd sooner follow HIM into the abyss of tranny repair because HE knows WTF he's talking about (even when I think he's wrong or off base), whereas YOU do not have a clue. Your advice amounts to "if it dont work, throw it out".
You don't work so well around here, can we throw you out?

Hardly. Kunkel nailed it, Denny backed it, and I'm agreeing with both of them. You haven't a clue.

Unless of course that "dude" posts in a sarcastic non-informative manner meant to be smart ass rather than helpful. Then those possibilities that this "dude" knows what he's talking about sorta go away.

Well I did exactly that, and thats why I concur with Kunkel and Denny.

See above.

You need to not type at all because you make little sense and have no facts to use while typing.
Done here.
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
. . ================Max Dodge wrote:

It WAS.......GOOD advice.
It will NOT fix the OPs problem, but it was good advice, and it is worth trying for a DIY'r as an "attempt" to a repair.
I'm jest gonna sit and wait for the OP to come back with an update as to how he ended up curing the problem. It's my belief that the end result will be taking the tranny back out.
I stand firm in that.
And.... looks so far like I am the only one that does.
As for you not being a DAMNED LIAR....... well I stand by that too. The written word is the written word and now it's here in hyperspace for all to see. I feel ok with what i've replied so far, and I feel sure that what I have written can be understood as it is written. I also believe that because of this.....it has been proven that either you cannot understand what you are reading, or.....yer A DAMNED LIAR!!
I'm sorry....but I must attribute one of those characteristics to you based on what you have posted.
I may be wrong...maybe you ain't a liar, maybe you can understand what you're reading......but right now it shore ain't looking that way.
I have digested the words line by line that have been posted.
My intial reply to the thread addressed the ACTUALL request posted in the OP.....as the request was written.
If you can't find that in my reply.....you're not reading what I wrote, and what I typed, and what is put down in hyperspace for all to see and make their own decision as to whether you're a DAMDED LIAR...or just an IDIOT. (pleaase.....this time, use yer dictionary before you reply to that last line)
Seems here Max, there's no way around it. Either you're an IDIOT, A DAMNED LIAR,
or..... I am.
don't think it's me Max.
but i could be wrong.
any whooo.....
i stand by what i have written, as i wrote it, with NO..regret that i wrote it.
I gave the OP what he asked for...... an experienced idea.
I also gave him the best idea and if the OP does an update, posting the final fix to his prob, is a man about it and honest... I feel firm in the belief that my idea was closer to being right than YOURs...Johns, or Denny's. . . . . ~~The Following is..............~~ ~~THE FACTS>>JUST THE FACTS~~
Denny and John had good ideas......they posted them. They gave the OP options.
Denny and John reinforced their ideas by offering up the same advice.
You COULD HAVE reinforced their idea by stating early in the thread that you agreed. You didn't.
People looking for help need as much input as they can get in order to make THEIR own decision as to which way to proceed.
The OP asked for IDEAS......it's what i gave. The OP asked for EXPERIENCE.....it's what i gave.
I work on transmissions every..single..day..of the year, for many..many..many...many years now.
You don't.
Denny does not.
Kunkle does not.
My experience outweighs yours. by jist a wee bit.
My idea is balls on right.
Yours is not. Yours is a guess.
Every word in my original reply to the "start of thread"...... was an idea.......an experienced idea.
You have flamed me for putting down in hyperspace exactly what the OP asked for...an "Experienced IDEA".
The OP negated my original reply as perty much the rambling of a lunitic.
The OP NEVER, EVER, NEVER, NOT ONCE....asked for anything other than an idea as to what the situation was.
The OP asked for an EXPERIENCED based idea.
I have lots of experience. I have lots of ideas.
I have more tranny experience than you do.
More than Denny.
More than Kunkle.
I gave the most experienced idea to date.
(THE ABOVE........IS......) ~~~FACT....NOT FICTION..~~
and possibly the rantings of a lunatic, alchoholic, drug addicted, inexperienced, wanna be, 14 year old..........
but it ain't.
it's the facts......jest the facts.
oh yeah......and the OP's got only 20 days left on that warranty..
tick..tock.. tick..tock..
~:~ MARSHMONSTER ~changes his mind about Max...he ain't no liar...he's an idiot~ ~feel free to ask to use my dictionary~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dale Carnegie called. Your refund is ready.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<snipped a bunch>

That is your right. No problem there.

<snip some more>

How would you know what I work on every day?? Or John?? or Max? Do you know what I'm certified in or my training or experience??
And I'm not gonna touch any of the drivel below.. You're making yourself look like an idiot.
Denny

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Denny wrote:

how would I know what experience you have, or John, or Max??
well... uncle bunkle told me. scribb abell told him. who heard it from nubbs mcfarlke... who got it from some guy with an ailias.....
WHO READ IT ON THE INTERNET.......where some fool posted it in open forum. go figure on that happening.....aye.
that Denny....... is how i know what i know i know..... yuh know?
~:~ MarshMonster ~thinks you think i can't think what i think i think i can think.....and i think i can read~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, no thanks for you. Why? You didn't answer his question, you made a snap decision without diagnostics and left him with no options, which was EXACTLY what he asked for.
In short, your advice was worthless, because you assumed you knew more about the problem than you could possibly know unless you stuck your mits directly on the trans.
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.